Dinghy Outboards

Shadowfax

Member III
If you are looking for a lifting davit that breaks down, I bought the Garhauer version and I'm very pleased with it. Breaks in half and folds up and I think is rated to around 300 ponuds. Check it out www.garhauermarine.com

jkm

Member III
I concur that some sort of a lift off the boom will work just fine.

With a nice webbed hardness it'll be sweet and easy.

My davits just don't impress me.

John

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
The Garhauer unit is nice. So is the one Forespar makes but at $300 or more I cant justify it. I just bought an Evinrude 6hp off Ebay for $500 that looks to be in pretty nice shape. Hopefully it works out. New 6hp seem to run 1200 or more. I still need to get a new dinghy this fall, probably boat show, and need a new set of racing sails for the Jet 14 to campaign this summer so after the new Assym for the ericson I just bought I think I'm about done on boat $$$ this year...:boohoo:

Richard Elliott

Member III
Try to find a used Yamaha 8hp two cycle. Very reliable and light weight. As mentioned earlier, two cycles may be phased out in spite of minimal pollution due to 100:1 oil mix. I may even buy a second one to mothball for future use.

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
I tried to buy a number of 6's and 8's and the bidding took to prices close to 1,000. New ones aren't that much more. Would have loved to find one for 500-800.

jkm

Member III
I don't consider my self "old" but I realize that weight will become a factor as my back ages.

Though I'm enamored by the four stroke, a two stroke in great shape may be the way to go. I'm just not happy with the clutch on my Honda 2.

John