Diesel leak

mrojec

Member I
I’m helping a friend with his 1984 E35-3 that has a universal 5432. We’re running the engine for the first time in about 4 years. There is a very slight diesel leak that appears to be coming from just below the fuel return fitting on the #4 cylinder. Is it reasonable to try tightening the fitting, and how should it be done? Thanks for the help.
Mark.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Yes, you can tighten the fittings and the injector as needed.

But first take a careful look at the fuel return hoses. They get old and crack, and then spray a mist of fuel the origin of which puzzled me. Note the replacement source cited by David Grimm toward the end of this blog entry:

Pete the Cat

Member III
FWIW, the return line is generally not under nearly as much pressure as the injector line. I would be inclined to clean the nut up, put some CorrosionX or Boeshield on the fitting and tighten it a bit--unless it is the return hose. I don't think there is anything special about the return hose on this engine, but you might check the rated PSI. If I recall, it is under 10 lb/sq in. I have used standard fuel line on some engines for return lines unless this is a unique arrangement.