Diesel help...

whawk

E27 with Volvo Penta MD6. Changed the fuel filter two days ago and test ran the motor for about 20 minutes before shutdown. Today it starts, makes about 5 or 6 revolutions and stops. Repeated this sequence several times. Loosened the top line on the filter and got fuel with no air. Loosened the lines to the injectors and cranked with the compression release on. Got fuel droplets on both injectors. I pushed the priming lever on the pump and there is a significant change from two days ago. Two days ago I had fuel resistance (pumping fuel, I assume) for about 3/4 of a stroke. Today it's less than 1/4 stroke. I'm thinking a bad diaphragm that is failing to meet demand from the injector pump. If it wasn't a Volvo I'd refuse to believe the discounted price for a diaphragm and gasket is around $150. Thoughts?

Thanks!
Jim

Pat O'Connell

Member III
Hi Jim
I would not know a Volvo from a flathead V8... but... on our 1981 Universal 5411 you need to have a steady stream of fuel coming from the bleed screw in order to have successful bleed. Droplets might not be getting the bleeding done?
Best Regards
Pat O'Connell
Chips 1981 E28+ Universal 5411