Diesel Fuel Tank- Aluminum, Stainless or Plastic?

wurzner

Member III
I saw technical literature on this somewhere most likely on this list, but I couldn't find it with the search. Can anyone providing the engineering rational to justify and/or dismiss aluminum, Stainless, or plastic.

thanks
shaun :confused:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Diesel tank material?

I have always been told to use 5000 series aluminum for diesel. There are commercial plastic diesel tanks, like the ones sold by Vetus, and then some folks make their own out of epoxy/cloth/coring material.
You mentioned "gas" -- as in gasoline, also. If I recall you should use steel or even SS for that, or again, the correct plastic compound.
One thing about metal tanks is that they have great strength ( a plus ) and the ability to corrode through when/if water is allowed to linger inside under the fuel (minus).
I have read articles cautioning against using SS for diesel tanks, FWIW.

Loren

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Tank Fabrication update

Today I spoke with a local metal fabricator about tanks for boats.
He is the guy that built my custom-design fresh water tank several years ago.
Next project for us is replacing the original aluminum 14 gallon diesel tank with something larger that will fit under the same settee but will use the space a lot more completely and efficiently.

He explained that either aluminum or SS can be used for diesel, but aluminum is usually used to save quite a bit of weight. If using SS it must be done with the proper alloy rod/wire for the welding and must be to "food grade" standards.

As to life, he estimates that, as a very generalized average, aluminum tanks will go 20 years and SS about 30. The life depends a lot on keeping water out of the diesel and having a proper installation with no external moisture trapped against the metal.

We will go with aluminum in order to save weight. First I have to build a rigid plywood mockup for him, like I did for the previous water tank project.

"Just another winter project."
:rolleyes:

Loren

'88 Olson 34

Last edited:

CaptnNero

Accelerant
compare, contrast

Today I spoke with a local metal fabricator about tanks for boats....

Loren, I have a friend with a 1984 C&C 30. He is planning to replace the original aluminum tank with stainless steel this winter. Thanks for the pros/cons info. I will pass it on to him. Since I'm planning to remove our tank this winter for inspection your tips may come in handy then too. There is a local Max Metal fabricator that I may be dealing with.

Dave G

Member II
More thoughts on tank material

I have worked with a local metal fab company the specializes in tanks and food processing equipment. They built my fuel tank and water tank. Their recommendations are aluminum for fuel, both gas and diesel. The advantage of aluminum is it's lighter weight and less vulnerable to cracking caused by vibration. Stainless for water tanks because it imparts no taste or odors in the water. While the stainless is more prone to cracking, leaks in water tanks are far less catastrophic than fuel tanks. Welded stainless steel doesn’t like point loads or vibration. These issues should be considered in the tank design.

Dave Green
E-29 Spirit
Bellingham, WA

CaptnNero

Accelerant
plastic for water ?

I have worked with a local metal fab company the specializes in tanks and food processing equipment. They built my fuel tank and water tank. Their recommendations are aluminum for fuel, both gas and diesel. ...

Did you compare plastic vs metal for the water tank ?

Dave G

Member II
I could not find a plastic tank to fit the spot I had for the water tank, so I went with custom stainless steel. I built the stainless water tank myself.

Dave G

CaptnNero

Accelerant
I could not find a plastic tank to fit the spot I had for the water tank, so I went with custom stainless steel. I built the stainless water tank myself.

Dave G

FWIW - I heard there's a place in Florida that makes custom plastic tanks for boats.

Building your own tank, that's a rather handy skill.