Diesel Fuel leak in tank

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
I can’t seem to find a diesel fuel leak anywhere else in the engine compartment or lines on top of tank, so I am now thinking it is the tank itself. this means I need to remove all the wood around the tank to inspect the bottom of it.

Part of the planning to fix the tank (repair or replace) is how to deal with the fuel ? When I bought the boat almost 3 years ago, I made the mistake of filling the 40 gallon tank without realizing that we only use the motor for about 10 minutes per sail here in the Bay Area. So I still have about 30 gallons left.

As it turns out, there is really no easy way to get rid of diesel fuel around this area. I could bring it in tanks to a hazardous waste site, but they will need to keep the containers. So, I am thinking I need to find a little electric pump with a filter and extract the fuel from the tank, temporarily store it it containers and put it back in the fuel tank after it repaired, while keeping the fuel clean in the process.

Does anyone have a better suggestions ? Anyone have any suggestions for fuel containers and a small electric pump ?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
That would be about 6 yellow "jerry cans" to store or gift a friend with a diesel pickup truck. (?)
Harbor Freight may have an inexpensive little battery operated pump.

Dang, the local marinas don’t accept diesel fuel? This may be a bit unorthodox but maybe get in touch with a diesel vehicle forum - or post on CL. Folks may be able to help you pump and store the fuel - they’d maybe even buy it.
Like mentioned above, a 5gal jerry can is about $25 and the economics may not work out there.

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
Are you in a marina ? Maybe sell it to neighboring boat or boats. If you offer at a good price you should get takers and may make a few bucks. Also if they're close to you might get away with just one 5 gal can with multiple deliveries.

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
Are you in a marina ? Maybe sell it to neighboring boat or boats. If you offer at a good price you should get takers and may make a few bucks. Also if they're close to you might get away with just one 5 gal can with multiple deliveries.
I thought about that , but would you trust fuel extracted from another boat ? Also if there were any issues , even if they were not caused by the fuel , I would not want to be blamed . ( even though, I’d give it away ) . When I bought the boat , it had fuel in it and I added new fuel but I can’t guarantee 100% the purity , although I’m willing to put it back in the refurbished tank on my boat . Am I overthinking this ?

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
Someone somewhere suggested offering it to a farmer. My mechanic heats his garage with kerosene and took some diesel that was extra ratty.

We pumped into jerry cans and stored it. Borrowed some jugs from a friend and gave him a bottle of bourbon when I returned them. When it was time to refill the new tank, I ran it through inline filters, ~ a buck a piece on Amazon. Replaced them as they got dirty.

I thought about that , but would you trust fuel extracted from another boat ? Also if there were any issues , even if they were not caused by the fuel , I would not want to be blamed . ( even though, I’d give it away ) . When I bought the boat , it had fuel in it and I added new fuel but I can’t guarantee 100% the purity , although I’m willing to put it back in the refurbished tank on my boat . Am I overthinking this ?
you're overthinking it, filtering it wouldn't hurt - the only consideration I'd have is if the fuel is off-road red.

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
You could buy the jugs, fill them with your old fuel, and sell the jugs on CraigsList, $35 jug with $20 of free fuel. Maybe?

Over-thinking? Probably. But we've all heard stories of boats in choppy weather with fuel tank sediment stirred up, clogged fuel lines, and trying to mitigate in rough conditions. Or, even lived those stories. That adds an emotional component to the equation that ought not be discounted.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Just a thought, I once had the fuel in my tank “polished” and recall the company that did it dockside had a large drum attached to their polishing machine. Find one of those companies in your area and pose your problem to them. They might be open to taking your fuel or maybe even storing it for you until you get your tank problems worked out.

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
the cans are not cheap, but I’m thinking I can buy a set of 4 to store 20/30 gallons remaining and give away 10 gallons at the marina . There are lots of people living at the marina that could use it . It appears that the little battery powered fuel pumps ( about 18 bucks ) which take “D” cells can pump 1 gallon in 2 minutes or 10 min per container. If I can find one that has a 12v lighter adapter even better .

5 Gallon Gas Can, 4 Pack, Spill Proof Fuel Container - New! - Clean! - Boxed! https://a.co/d/cl38eJX

SWANLAKE GARDEN TOOLS Portable Power Battery Pump, Liquid Fuel/Water Transfer Pump,2.2 Gallons per Min, https://a.co/d/8gcYYor

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Buy a Facet 12V electric fuel pump just like the one you have on your boat. After you use it to transfer the diesel, keep it on hand for a spare. (Assuming your engine uses a 12V lift pump.)

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
Buy a Facet 12V electric fuel pump just like the one you have on your boat. After you use it to transfer the diesel, keep it on hand for a spare. (Assuming your engine uses a 12V lift pump.)
Good idea . I’m not sure where the pump is . The copper lines go to this little cylindrical part at lower right. Is that a fuel pump or another filter ? The facet pumps look quite different.

Attachments

• engine-fuel-system.jpg
    engine-fuel-system.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 24

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
That looks like a fuel pump to me. I think I see wires going to it ?
I’m not at the boat , but yes I think you’re right . Now to see if I can locate one of those as a spare and jury rig it to a plastic tubing and a 12v battery ( or clips ) . Guess I could also try to see if I can use the fuel pump directly to drain the tank . It must not run continuously though - it has to have some kind of pressure sensor connected in some way . I have a U25 Manuel on the boat so I’ll see what it says about the fuel system.

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
Guess I could also try to see if I can use the fuel pump directly to drain the tank
I think you could but they don't push a lot of fuel. I think mine is rated @ 25 gph so it would take an 70 minutes ish to pump 30 gallons.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Lower right side of the picture, under the alternator... is an old Facet electric fuel lift pump. Standard on Universal diesels of the era.

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I drained 30 gallons using my suction oil extractor from West Marine.

It took a while, but that gave me time to fill and move the four plastic jugs.

Yes, only four, which meant a trip to empty two before completion. I used the tank at our local oil recycling facility. Then I read the sign which provided jail time for anybody who put anything but motor oil into the oil recycling tank. I think I read the sign afterwards. Your honor, i just honestly don't remember with any specificity and anyhow there were no witnesses.