Diesel engineers?

JORGE

Member III
I haven't hooked up my used Yanmr diesel yet, the engine is inside the cabin on the sole. It has test hoses attached to the engine for fuel and water, which were used to test starting.
I'm in the northEast, and wish to know, should I just blanket the engine, to insulate?, or does anyone think it should "somehow" be winterized, it's a fresh water engine? (Deepfreeze is not expected until Jan- Feb). Any help would be appreciated.

diamondjim

Member II
The easiest thing to do is completely drain the block of any water. Do this by finding the lowest point on the block where the water hose is attached. There might be a small valve to open or just remove the hose and drain the water. Usually all of the water will drain from the head and block leaving the interior cavities empty. It is no problem to leave it "dry" for the winter. Just install it in the spring with the proper anti freeze mix and you will be all set. If you are concerned about wheather you got all of the water out of some hidden pocket, pour some anti freeze in the highest water port of the engine and let it drain. Some of this anti freeze will displace any fresh water.

When you go to fill the system you should find the highest point on the engine and fill from there. This procedure will prevent an air pocket in the head or some other place and preclude overheating. On my engine, all I do is disconnect the hose from the highest fitting on the head, use a funnel with a flexible hose and pour the anti freeze down thru the engine. This works virtually all the time. When you start the engine, pay attention to the temperature gage to be sure it is heating properly. If you have an air pocket, the temp will spike quickly and you'l know you need to address an air pocket. Hope thjis helps!

Tom Plummer

Member III
Since it has test hoses attached I would fill the engine with the pink antifreeze the they use in RV’s it is non toxic, cheep, and good to a -50 deg Fahrenheit

JORGE

Member III
Added pink antifreeze .. But

I added pink antifreeze into the top of the Yanmar 2GM, which I believe is the heat exchanger, it's where the coolant cap is located, in November. Poured the liquid in and found almost none (one drop) exited from the lowest hose, which was connected to the water pump. The fluid remains in the heat exchanger, doesn't drain down. I also tried turning the pulley by hand. Nothing comes out. :confused:

Tom Plummer

Member III
If you have a heat exchanger then you have fresh water cooling.

The fresh water side of the heat exchanger should always have at least a 50/50 mixture of regular antifreeze to water ratio. The cap located at the top of the heat exchanger is for filling the heat exchanger and the block of you engine with the antifreeze/water mixture just like on a car.

On the front of your engine there are two water pumps. The top one circulates the antifreeze/water mixture through the block and heat exchanger. The bottom pump pumps raw water (sea water) through the raw water side of the heat exchanger and then out your exhaust system.

The pink RV antifreeze is used to replace the raw water in the system preventing freeze-up of the raw water pump, raw water side of the heat exchanger and if you have one the Hydro Lift exhaust system.

If you did indeed put the pink RV type antifreeze in the freshwater side of you cooling prior to operating the engine you need to drain and flush the entire system to get the RV type of antifreeze out of it. The RV type of antifreeze is not designed to function as coolant and will harm your engine. :eek:

If you need instructions on how to do that feel free to contact me directly.