diesel dork

seizethebay

Member I
Hi all,
Anyone have any experience with Universal 10 diesel ongoing engine troubles? Seems our 1985 engine does not like to work. I have had my 1985 28+ for six years. Five of those years have been spent trying to find out why the engine always stops. I have reduced my sailing to only in the West River as I have been towed every time I venture into the bay.
The focus has been on replacing the fuel system by multiple mechanics. I just replaced the fuel pump two weeks ago and it ran great for three hours. Then it died after making a screaming noise that sounded like a belt. We let it rest for 15 minutes and she started up and ran again for 30 minutes got through the Narrows and it died again. Luckily it died after we made it under the bridge.
We sailed for 4 hours then ran the engine again for another 90 minutes. I heard a knocking sound, looked at the belt and it seemed like it was coming from that area. Sure enough, the same scream and stop. Sailed for another 30 minutes, and started the boat to take into the slip. This time the same knock, scream and burning of the belt. We came crashing into the dock the same way we have now 9/10 times. Our slip neighbors just expect engine drama.
I was also concerned as it seemed like some type of oil was spitting out around the oil filter. I checked and it felt tight. I did not have to bleed the engine so I am 99% sure it is not a fuel problem. The temp was running under 180.
Any ideas? I just dropped 2 grand on getting the fuel pump and other fuel issues resolved. I am hoping I can trouble shot myself if possible.
I am also trying to think what realistically I should expect from a 10hsp on a 28+ boat. Seas were at 1-2 ft chop and we could not get any faster then 2 knots...
I love the boat but the engine has ruined every cruising experience. :esad:
Thanks Lynne

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
The intermittent squealing/stalling could be a bearing problem. It could be in an accessory, like the alternator or water pump.

Try this - Take a long screwdriver - long enough to reach the alternator and water pump, and extend a foot away from anything that could take your ear off. With the engine running, carefully place the metal end of the screwdriver on the body of the alternator or water pump, and place your ear tightly on the plastic handle of the screwdriver. It works like a stethescope, and if there's a bad bearing, you'll hear horrible grinding.

I definitely think you should get more than 2 knots boat speed with a 10hp diesel on a 8000 pound boat. If there's a bad bearing, it might account for some of the power loss you're experiencing, but I wouldn't be suprised if there were other problems too. Are the prop and bottom clean? Does the engine smoke at open throttle? How fast does the engine run (rpms) at wide open throttle? The prop could be over-pitched.

If the engine has been poorly maintained for 20 years, this may be another case where your money is best spent on a new, problem-free, no-mysteries engine. I think I'd try to eliminate the above possibilities myself, and if it came to having a mechanic try to sort out all vague problems, I'd probably cut my losses, and look into a new or rebuilt engine.

Good luck

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
A diesel engine does not just die for no reason. They will continue to run until the fuel runs out in most cases. The unpredictable nature of the engines quitting leads me to believe you have a problem with air leaks, maybe multiple leaks in the fuel system. Air in the fuel lines, which are under vacuum before the lift pump, will cause the issues you are describing. A very simple way to verify the problem is to rig up a temporary fuel tank. Run a fuel line from a suitable portable marine tank to the primary filter, also run a return line back to the temporary tank. Test this configuration. If you still have the problem bypass the filters and use a known (new, borrowed, etc.) filter assembly and test again. Test the lift pump. It should produce the specified vacuum, pressure, volume, etc. or replace it. Remove ALL fuel lines and blow them out with compressed air, check them over rigorously or simply replace. Lastly check the fuel tank to be sure the pickup is near the tank bottom and not sucking air periodically. Also make sure there is no crap in the tank that periodically blocks the pickup, shuts the engine down and then floats off again.

Regarding the screeching noise I would guess at an alternator or waterpump bearing going bad. The coolant pump on my Universal 5432 went bad last season and the noise it made was sporadic and horrendous. Sounded like a cat being tortured. Easy fix though.

I do not believe that a diesel engine with no major mechanical issues should be replaced simply because mechanics can't find the problem. Find another mechanic or start learning how to fix them yourself. I don't like most "professional" mechanics as, IMHO, they just don't take the time to fully diagnose problems and just want to move on to the next easy, higher profit job. I've also yet to meet a marine mech that is happy to work in the cramped confines of a sailboat engine compartment. The long and short is, try to find a good mech, read all you can and try to figure it out yourself, or start making friends with people who are willing to help you. While aggravating, these issues can be fixed. RT

Mike V

Just thought i would add my 2 cents here. My Universal 10 hp (1987 E26) had lost power gradually over time and unoticed by me until the engine was very hard to start. It turned out that the exhaust elbow had clogged internally with rust and soot. I had the exhauust elbow changed and my boat goes 6 knots at 2300 rpm. What a difference it made. I was told that this is a common problem with these engines. you might want to check yours while you address the other problems. Had i known of this problem myself I would have saved a few bucks and did the job myself.

Mike