Dickinson Newport Diesel Heater-Installation?

wurzner

Member III
If anyone out there has installed on of these heaters, I would appreciate information on what flew length was used and how low you placed it on the bulkhead. To get the factory specs, I need to mount if right above the cushions. I can remove the cushion when using it or mount it higher and have a stack above the deck. What I would likely do then is cap it right at the deck and install an addtional 2 ft section when using it and remove it when racing? Any comments or concerns with this approach? Any Photos?

Thanks in advance
:eek: shaun::eek:

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Newport Heater

Shaun,

Heres what we did with our Dickenson Newport heater. Firstly, it came with the boat mounted on a bulkhead, but the smoke-stack situation was less than optimal, including a thru-deck fitting that got way to hot and transferred too much heat to the deck and surrounding liner, and a permanently attached flue that rose about 2 ft above deck level. We replaced the existing thru-deck connector with a 3inch "ABI" screw-on thru-deck fitting (around $120 at the time I think) which had a much better "heat sink" to it to protect the deck from excessive heat. In addition to this we attached a fan behind the flue in the boat to better spread out the heat. So now we can "cap off" the heater vent for the summer, and screw it on for the winter.

With the stack screwed on, the total height is a little less than 3 ft, which supposedly is less than optimal if I remember right, but we have never had an issue with downdrafts or anything.

As much as forced-air type heaters are wonderful things, the Newport heater's ambience is nice, and it has served us adequately for quite a few years now.

Let me know if you want any more details.

Cory Bolton
'75 E32 Fairweather Friend
Portland, OR