design

helmsman

Can anyone tell me where I can get a bottom profile
for a 67' E-30? Side view and head on. I want to
modify a trailer for haul out.

Is there any quick way to tell if you have a shoal or
deep draft model without going in the water?

Is there an easy way to tell between a 30 and a 30+

This boat seems very tender to me was there a
design problem witrh this design?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Unless you can find someone with a sistership to photograph and measure, you may not have much to go on until you get the boat in the slings, over the trailor, with the meter ($) running...

The "tenderness" you are experiencing is another matter. You design is from an older design school -- narrower, and very likely with slack bilges.
You will probably heel easily, initially, but find it quite stiff after getting to 15 degrees or so.

Later boats will have more beam, a hard turn to the bilge, and be much more stable at the dock and in lighter air. When they do get pushed hard, OTOH, they can heel a lot further and round up a lot quicker.

If you have to punch thru a bunch of headseas, you will appreciate your boat's design a lot more.

All designs are compromises. Yours and mine. I suspect it's like the design "performance envalope" of an airplane. Different is not bad or good; just different.

All the best,

Loren in Portland, OR
Olson 34

:)

Captainpeter

Member II
67 E30

I used to own '67 E30#89 (bought it new in 67). Traded it in on a new E38 in 1984. Somewhere I have an original brochure which I believe has hull profile drawings. I'll look for it tomorrow. If that doesn't work, somewhere I have pictures of the boat in the yard and in the Travelift sling. Standby! Captain Peter

Last edited: