Design and Functionality Question E38

richardH

Good day to the collective. I've been looking to purchase a sailboat and I like the layout, specs and build of the Ericson 38 as being on my short list. I've see a few in person and don't understand one 'feature' that's on the deck. There are two raised elongated rectangles (dorade type of housing) on the cabin top; one in front of the mast and the other just in front of the companion way turtle cover. Both of these 'dorade' structures have two cowls each have oval openings in between. On some of the boats I see wooden covers over these openings and some are open. The ones that are open the 'trough' is sometimes lined with either fiberglass or a thin plywood. And depending on the condition of the boat these 'linings' can be pretty deteriorated.
So my two question are, what exactly are these and should they have cover on them? I tried to find some good images on the internet but was unable to find a good one.

Thank you in advance of your responses.

rich

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
dorade box.JPG
Theories:

--winch handle holders, from days when winches were on the deck near the mast or on mast itself.

--sail tie receptacles.

--?

The receptacles on the sea hood don't cause trouble because the sea hood can't leak into the cabin.

The receptacle in the twin dorade box should be carefully sealed if receptacle function is to be preserved--I poured some epoxy in to fill potential leaks, then Brightside paint inside. (The factory made the floor of the receptacle of wood, even though it's exposed to weather. If the wood deteriorates bad leaks ensue). The receptacle can also be glassed over.

Some owners have removed or sealed over the dorade box entirely, but the dorades are important ventilation and work very well at dock or at sea when all hatches need to be closed.

For a really eccentric dorade on the Ericson 381, note the port side deck dorade plate designed to permit ventilation of the quarterberth. The dorade box is below deck and the cowl is seldom kept in place.

Dorade deck vent.JPG

richardH

Theories:

--winch handle holders, from days when winches were on the deck near the mast or on mast itself.

--sail tie receptacles.

--?

The receptacles on the sea hood don't cause trouble because the sea hood can't leak into the cabin.

The receptacle in the twin dorade box should be carefully sealed if receptacle function is to be preserved--I poured some epoxy in to fill potential leaks, then Brightside paint inside. (The factory made the floor of the receptacle of wood, even though it's exposed to weather. If the wood deteriorates bad leaks ensue). The receptacle can also be glassed over.

Some owners have remove or sealed over the dorade box entirely, but the dorades are important ventilation and work very well at sea when all hatches need to be closed.
Christian,
So these are cubbies for winch handles, sundries or anti-Siren elixrs? Fascinating, one broker mentioned winch handle holders but he wasn't really sure so I didn't believe him. Thank you for the quick response, and I feel honored to 'chat' with you. I have enjoyed your videos and two of your books. You were the one who introduced me to Ericson yachts with Thelonious and Thelonious II.

Thank Sir,

rich

ddoles

Member III
I have a later model E38-200 and these do not exist. It that place is a standard opening hatch. So whatever they are it seems they were not considered mission critical.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Dorade boxes are designed to drain through holes (identified by arrows). The drain holes need to be checked and cleared periodically.

dorade box.JPG

fogbank

The compartments are for tools that are needed at the area forward of the mast. The other box forward of the companion way is also for tools. Winch handles need to be next to the winches not places you can't access in a hurry. Glassing over the wood is best. Then you can cutout the center area glass the sides of the dorades fair and paint it. The other option would be to glass the boxes and fill with foam to make it water tight.
Matching the gelcoat color is a thankless effort. Choose a shade of white you like and paint the entire deck, not the hull. Don't forget to add a flattener additive to the white paint and tape off around nonskid areas.

E38-Hull #2