Delamination and Rot in the Deck

TodBookless

I am in the process of buying a 1973 E27. I had the survey done last week and learned that the deck aft of the anchor locker has some delamination happening, and that the balsa core seems to be rotting.

I am interested to know if other people have seen this, and if so, what they have been able to do about it. Thanks.

Tod

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
One starting point....

I would FIRST get a firm-as-reasonable bid for the work from a yard professional, with a rough written outline of what they were going to do. You should be seated when this document is presented.

There are various ways to fix a spongy balsa deck, ranging from injecting epoxy into a bunch of holes drilled into the coring, after a lengthly drying out.... Or... You can remove the deck surface, route out the offending core, and then lay down new coring and then layers of glass and then paint and put on new non skid. If maintaining the factory non skid is vital to you, fix it from the inside....
All have been done. The later method is the messiest by far.
:(
The price you pay for the boat should reflect the value of the work needed. For comparison, an awesome E-27, with a diesel and a lot new gear sold in PDX this spring for around 13K. It was a turn-key boat. I have seen neglected ones for half that, and they might have been overpriced....

"Choose wisely" as the knight said when Indy contemplated which cup was the Grail.....
:rolleyes:

You may want to also subscribe to the YachtList, as this very topic is being discussed today.
http://www.xs4all.nl/~erkooi/YL/index.html
This is the oldest boatbuilding-oriented discussion group on the 'net.

Best of luck,

Loren in PDX

ps: here are pics of such a project, from the Sailnet FTP archive:
ftp://ftp.sailnet.com/ericson/foredeck/

Last edited:

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Maintaining the factory non-skid topped my priorities when
I did this repair. This meant attacking from underneath. The
only thing worse than grinding fiberglass is doing it uncomfortably
wedged head first on your back in the chain locker while glass
particles fly around your head. This one ranks right up there
with head repair while underway! I'm itching just thinking
about it. Patches of rotten core up in the bow are fairly
common as that is arguably the wettest part of the boat.
Have the yard quote for any core repairs and figure that
into the offer.

Martin