Decompression lever frozen

mrojec

Member I
I am working on a friend's 1985 E35-III that has been on a cradle for 3 years. I'd like to turn the engine (Universal 5432) over by hand to make sure it hasn't seized up, but the decompression lever doesn't budge. I understand that it rotates clockwise for decompression. I'm not using a lot of force or leverage because I certainly don't want to break it.
Any thoughts or recommendations?

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I am working on a friend's 1985 E35-III that has been on a cradle for 3 years. I'd like to turn the engine (Universal 5432) over by hand to make sure it hasn't seized up, but the decompression lever doesn't budge. I understand that it rotates clockwise for decompression. I'm not using a lot of force or leverage because I certainly don't want to break it.
Any thoughts or recommendations?
It was also "frozen" on our universal diesel engine. While doing a valve adjustment, a mechanic "worked it", much harder than I would have risked, and he was able to free it. I don't know if that is generally possible, or if he was lucky, so I can't recommend that you try to force it, but that's what he did. Others may have a better recommendation.
Frank

Bepi

E27 Roxanne
Syclla and Charibdis. I would spray lots of cleaner/lube and then with a tiny hammer, small metal rod or equivalent, gently tap...a lot... for a while. It's possible to fracture the matrix of debris/corrosion and get it moving. I have done it on another project but the odds were against me. Try this before, inevitably, forcing the issue. Good luck.

David Grimm

E38-200
I've had my valve cover off as well as the head. All valves stem seals replaced, new head gasket and reassembled all by myself. I believe my decompression lever is frozen as well. Probably because it is never used.

mrojec

Member I
Thanks for the feedback! An update: I put liquid wrench where the decompression shaft enters the engine and let it sit for a day or so. Today I tapped the decompression lever lightly with a hammer and it moved clockwise about 1/8". Fearing I would do damage or not be able to get it back to the compression position I didn't proceed any further. I tapped the lever back to it's full counter-clockwise position and decided to just try and turn the splined crankshaft using a chain wrench. I was careful not to mar the splines. The crankshaft rotated without any difficulty. I expected more resistance to my efforts. I only turned it 1-2 revolutions, but I'm now worried that compression is low or absent. I think the lack of circulating oil certainly affects the compression, but does this sound normal? I guess I'll find out when I attempt to start the engine next week.

David Grimm

E38-200
I'm pretty certain I can turn my engine over just by pulling on the belt. Can definitely turn it over with a ratchet. I changed all pullys and the belt to the flat wide belt. Yes, it is a diesel but we're only talking 30hp.