Decommissioning Costs in the Bay Area?

wurzner

Member III
Sorry for doing a duplicate post, but the Norhtern Cal group is not too active.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will be decommissioning an Ericson 38 in the Bay Area and could appreciate some information regarding what this should run. I was already quoted around 1600 which is absolutely absourd in my opinion. I know that commissioning the boat in Everett, WA will be under $400. The marina that I received the quote from wanted 1200 for the decommissioning plus ~400 to pull it and place it on the trailer. They said it would be about 14 hours at $88 an hour.

If anyone in the area has been through the process or has a contact for doing it, please let me know. It's important that she get packaged properly for the trip to Seattle. Also, people deserve to make a living; it just seems this is really high.

thanks in advance
Shaun

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Dated Information...

Having no idea what the current "fair cost" should be... :rolleyes:
I suppose it's a matter of your time vs your money... I drove down to help prepare our 34 footer for shipment after purchase in '94. The yard had it out on stands for some work that was mandated by the survey, and I also had the help of an old friend with a small pickup with canopy and rack. We stayed a couple days at a Motel 6. We managed to remove all loose stuff and sails, the boom, radar mast, and spinn. pole to his truck. We labeled and marked all shrouds and turnbuckles for position. We tried to leave nothing inside to chafe while being trucked to Portland from Alameda. We used the Mariner Boat Yard (http://www.marinerboatyard.com/). Owner was/is Peter Inwegen. Helpful folks. They charged for loading and for a bunch of carpet remnants used to package the mast. I do not remember the total $, but then this info is ten years out of date, anyway...
A good yard will carefully package shrouds and stuff to guard against chafe. Chafe is your enemy! :(
The driver will likely want your payment prior to unloading, BTW.

If possible, try to find a time slot that takes advantage of an empty backhaul -- this will save you real $$. We lucked out and got our delivery for about $1300. rather than the expected $1900. Heck, for $2500. we could have demanded and got a truck exactly on our schedule...
(Adjust all figures for 10 years of inflation).
Best,
Loren in PDX
Olson 34 #8

Nigel Barron

Notorious Iconoclast
Working in a yard in Seattle, 14 hours might be a little high, but it all depends on how much there really is to do. Think about the hours. Taking out a mast requires two people so the hours go up quick there. Mast wirtes, breaking the mast down, and wrapping it, depending on height restrictions, stanchions might have to come off, removing dodger, securing stuff inside the boat, and then loading it on a truck. Hours add up surprisingly fast. If you don't want to pay for those hours, almost all of these things can be done yourself.

Get the mast ready so all they have to do is pull it. Get the boom of, drop the furling sail and fold it, take the pins out of the turnbuckles and loosen the rigging, disconnect the mast wiring, coil the halyards or pull them so nothing is in turning blocks... Just a thought. Keep track of your hours and get back to us, I am curious what you find out.

Last edited:

hodo

Member III
Recomissioning ?

Hi Shaun, Sorry I couldn't respond to you earlier, but it sounds like you went and done it!! Congratulations, you will love the 38. If you would post the eta, and things work out, I would be happy to help get her ready to splash. There may also be others out there in e-land whocould help or at least keep the brews cool. Harold, S/V Mischief Maker.