Deck-Hull & Rubrail Connection

SeaDog

Member II
:esad: Looking for folks with water leak experience in the deck to hull connection (under the rub rail) on an Ericson 32 (1978). We were on the return trip from a Long Beach (CA) to Catalina trip, with the starboard rail at the water surface, when we discovered water sloshing above the sole. Inspection indicates that the water was coming in from under the stove and galley cabinet. Further inspection shows that the starboard rub rail has lifted approximately 1/8th to 1/4 inch at this location. My assumption is that the water was entering through the deck-hull connection at this location. The rub rail is lifed for approximately 4 feet. There was no sign of leaks when the boat was in the upright position. Prior to the leak, we had been sailing in 4-5 seas with occasional 8 footers and winds at 25+; two reefs in the main, genon reduced from 135% to about 90%.

I would appreciate any input re sealing the deck-hull joint in the area where leaking is occuring (behind the galley).

SeaDog (Kirby)
Skipper of Uff Da

Jim Baldwin

Member II
Check it out

Your boat may have taken a hard hit (sometime in it's history)along the rub rail and you may have a separation of the deck/hull joint. The deck and hull are joined together with a roll of fiberglass on the inside. You have to get behind the cabinet or whatever and have a good look. Hose it down from the outside while you look from inside. The repairs should be obvious once you find the problem. You will have to re-glass the separation. This could be a structural problem that should not be ignored. On the other hand, It may have nothing to do with that and may be coming in from some other area. Also, keep in mind, in a rough sea, practically all boats will leak and flood the bilges. I think your E32 has a fairly shallow bilge area to start with? Check it out anyway, it's a long swim from Catalina.