Deck fills

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Can anyone tell me the brand of deck fills on my 1985 35-III? I need to replace a few of the caps. I think they are 1/4 course thread but 1 replacement I bought had a different lip so it did not sit flush.

Don Smith

Member II
I spent a lot of time a fews years ago searching for cap replacements and couldn't find any. It seems that in 1985 Ericson for some reason went cheap when selecting deck fills. I ended up replacing the whole unit, I think the brand I selected was White Cap, or something with a similiar name. Anyway, there are several brands available all of which appear to be heavier duty much better made than the originals. BIG WARNING: removing the deck fill unit is not easy. It takes a lot of muscle, technique and time. Had I known how much work it would, I might not have tried it . However, I'm very please with the new deck fill. It looks a lot better, and works a whole lot better too.

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
I too tried in vain to replace a fuel cap that went for a swim. I ended up replacing the fuel fill with one that at least keeps the water out. However, it was a painful job requiring climbing into the lazarette to wrestle the hose off the barbs.

stbdtack

Member III
I couldnt find the caps either so I replaced with new SS deck fills. Got the ones with flip up handles so I never have to look for that stupid key(and end up using a screwdriver anyway)

The holes in the deck were a little smaller than the new ones needed but some trimming with the die-grinder took care of that.

Use a heat gun on the hoses if you can. They come off and go on pretty easily when they're warm and soft.

Glyn Judson

Tim and all, As far as the fitting and hose being hard to remove and replace, I found on mine that simply loosening the hose clamp, letting it temporarily slide down the hose and then removing the deck mounting screws allowed me to pull the fitting AND the hose right up above the deck. It was then a task made simpler of fighting the hose off the bronze barb. Good luck, Glyn

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Related to this, I recently greased the deck fill thread with lanolin, after arriving at a fuel dock with my new/old boat and finding it took me 15 minutes of hard work to get the fuel fill cap off. The lanolin made the cap turn easily in its threading, but two weeks later it had stiffened up again and was difficult to remove. The O-rings were replaced last year. Does anyone have any suggestions to solve this--ie. make it easy to turn, while still keeping water out?
Thx.
Frank.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Soooo, here's the real question

All you guys that replaced your deck plates, what did you do with the originals? If you are anything like me, they are in a box in the basement "just in case".

seizethebay

Member I
Deck Fills continued

Hello Ericson owners
any chance any one has had luck finding replacement waste fill caps for a 1985 28+. I am sooo hoping I do not have to replace the whole part. Thanks!:esad: Lynne

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I have been looking around and trying different new and used caps but no luck. A few members here had replaced the whole unit and I asked to see if they had their old ones avaiable but no one responded. Even if they could provide me with the deck fill unit without the cap, it would be much easier to find a replacement. I have seen many at used marine supply places but they would not let me return them if they did not fit.

wheelerwbrian

Member III
My related issue is at the pumpout -- none of the adapters at any of the local pumpouts will fit the deck fill. So I'm usually put in the position of having to press down on a rubber fitting to get the vacuum seal.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Use a hose and run fresh water around the seal as you pump out. This makes it seal much better.

GMaurer

Member II
Deck Fill

When I lost my drain plug (splash!), my temporary fix was to put in a plumber's pressure plug. They're available at hardware stores in the right diameter, and certainly do the job.
Two drawbacks:
1) they look a bit unsightly, since the wing nut sticks up
2) they wear out over time, so require replacing every season or so

At the local consignment store (Wickford, RI) I recently found plug with an an exact thread match, though the plug was off of fuel port, and has the two hole prong removal system in lieu of the key-slot.