Deck Eruption '88 32-3

jgarmin098

Member II
The foredeck on my 32-3 has an eruption near the anchor locker dog. It is about the size of a half dollar and is bulging upward and splitting open.

Any ideas what is causing this and what is the fix?

hodo

Member III
eruptions

Can you take a picture and post it? Hodo (It's strange why this would come up on the anniversary of Mt. St. Helens' eruption!) :cheers:

Emerald

Hi,

I think I might have an answer for you indirectly from the Ericson Sailnet list back in 2003. I pulled this out of my archives of emails on stuff I thought worth keeping. I was not the original poster, this is from a contributor named Walt who had/has an ’88 vintage E32-200:

"Apparently, there is an aluminum strip about 2 inches by 5 inches and located under the gel coat and just under the recessed deck/gel coat area that receives the sliding anchor locker door bolt. The stainless fitting that arches over the deck recession/door bolt retainer is held to the deck by two stainless screws that ultimately screw into the hidden aluminum strip. This I believe, caused the reaction and the aluminum oxide which erupted the deck. There was likely some seawater that leaked either through the retainer fitting screws or the anchor locker insert lip or one of the anchor locker insert screws, to activate the chemical reaction."

Hope this helps. If I remember correctly, Walt ended cutting the area out and redoing it. Sounds worse than it is :egrin:

-David
Independence 31
Emerald

jgarmin098

Member II
I know I've asked this before but I'm running into trouble getting the repair completed.

I need all possible information regarding the fix for the deck eruption at the dog for the anchor locker hatch. Any help, advice, encouragement will be greatly appreciated.