Dead engine need a replacement

Mike H

Member I
We have an Ericson 30-2 that now has a cracked engine block. Looking for a 3 cylinder fresh water cooled diesel with transmission and control panel. Located in Vancouver BC.

tripper_dave

Member II
Was a three cylinder diesel the original? My 30-2 has a single YSM-12.
I'll be interested to see what you put in.
Best of luck.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A new Betamarine would be really nice, if affordable.
What hp are you wanting?
And then there's the issue of the present footprint and what size engine will go in with the least hassle.

Loren

mkollerjr

Member III
Blogs Author
Go electric?

Have you considered electric? I was looking at an engineless Newport 30 a while ago, with the thought of getting it real cheap because it had no motor. I did quite a bit of research into re-powering with an electric motor vs. diesel. Depending on how you use your boat, electric it seems like it could be a good option.

I had a few email exchanges with these guys out of California and they seemed really helpful: http://www.electricyacht.com/

Mark

frick

Member III
A4 Dead Replaced with Yanmar

Greetings,
when my Atomic 4 died in my E29, The fix was half the price of a New Yanmar 2gm20f. That replacement was about 10 years ago. It was the best upgrade and I have never had a lick of trouble with the Yanmar.
On a Boat your size look for the 3 Cylinder 3gm30f or a new model.
With a New oil burner you can expect at least of ten year or more of no engine issues
Rick+

kapnkd

kapnkd
We have an Ericson 30-2 that now has a cracked engine block. Looking for a 3 cylinder fresh water cooled diesel with transmission and control panel. Located in Vancouver BC.

Back in '91 we replaced our Atomic 4 with a Westerbeke Model 20B Diesel. I was going to go with a larger model, but the dealer said the 20B was more than enough power for our E32 - MKII. He was right and saved us a couple grand more on the price difference.

Best part, it fit right in with the only modification being where I reversed two of the engine mounts. (Back then, the price was a little more than $5K - not sure what it would be now.) It's been a GREAT engine and very reliable. The switch to diesel sure does make life a lot easier not having to worry about carb problems along with a distributor, points and plugs!

Good luck with your choices.
-kerry

Mike H

Member I
New engine

Just bought a Betamarine 20hp, about $9K. Retirement 75 now. Dropped it in on Friday, got it lined up but my back, knees and hands can't drill the new holes and finish that job. I hired to finish that and get it back in the water. Will do the electrical etc etc in the next few weekends. And on and on and on.