Dauphin Island Regatta Tragedy

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Tuesday May 12 at around 09:00 Morgan (my girlfriend) called and said she had awaken herself saying Angels go our and fine our boat and our stuff and repeated it as she was waking up, as we talked I walked into my bath room and where my black shaving kit was sitting I saw her brown fringed leather purse that had gone down on the boat. This is not the kind of thing that happens to me. Six hours later I got a call, about 15:00 telling me SHAKEDOWN had been located (for the second time Shakedown had been located, first time we hauled down to get her she wasn't there when Tow Boats US got out there) This time she was there.

Wednesday evening around 19:00 we were reunited with our boat. The mast broken just above the lowers, main hatch missing and the lens out of the forward hatch, leaving her wide open for the current to wash everything out of the boat. It didn't, almost everything that went down was still there, a couple of jackets and probably a few other little things weren't on her.

The main hatch, lens to forward hatch, half the mast and some rigging are gone, the rudder is split partway up the back and she had a truck load of mud in her.

The only piece of electronics to survive was a $12 wrist watch from wally world that was my backup watch for race starts (water proof items 2 GPS 2, VHF handheld and a fixed VHF all dead) the Casio phone had worked for 45 minutes past the other phones when friends were calling to check on us.

She was on the bottom for 18 days and will be leading the pack at club races by the end of the summer.

Glad to hear it Randy!