Cutless Bearing and Rudder 32-3

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Ray has a god point with the engine placement. With the original strut on my 35-3, the shaft slid past the rudder, but with the new strut, the shaft just hits and would require dropping the rudder for removal. The yard lined everything up with the shaft log, but we didn't consider rudder interference. Obviously not the same boat, but it highlights how close it can be and the possibility of variance from boat to boat. Best bet would be having a good contingency plan ready if it doesn't work.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
At my last haul-out, yard said they'd have to drop the rudder to get the shaft out.

Haven't tried it yet, but... to my eye, yeah, the rudder is inline with the shaft and likely to be in the way.

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Wait, I just reread your post. You shouldn't have to remove the shaft to replace the cutlass, so removing the rudder to remove the shaft shouldn't be a problem. You need a cutlass press designed to do the job, but it's a fairly common job. Of course, there's s a pile of things that could go wrong on a 30 year old boat, so the comment on a contingency plan still stands, but there may be a little brighter light at the end of the shaft log.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
You need a cutlass press designed to do the job, but it's a fairly common job.
If you or the yard can press the bearing out with the proper tool, it can be done with the shaft and rudder in place. My yard was unable, as the old cutlass started to deform rather than slide out. Which wasn’t all bad; I also got some rudder repairs done, had the shaft shortened 2”, cleaned a lot of the steering components, and put new bronze bearings in the steering cable sheaves. The cost did go up considerably, but I hope to never remove the rudder again.

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
Wait, I just reread your post. You shouldn't have to remove the shaft to replace the cutlass, so removing the rudder to remove the shaft shouldn't be a problem. You need a cutlass press designed to do the job, but it's a fairly common job. Of course, there's s a pile of things that could go wrong on a 30 year old boat, so the comment on a contingency plan still stands, but there may be a little brighter light at the end of the shaft log.
This is correct, the yard says no need to pull the shaft. I am going to have the yard do the job.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
When I do my cutlass bearing (which seems to be ok at present), I would also want to drop the rudder to check the rudder bearing, packing, etc. - likely hasn’t ever been done.