Cutlass bearing

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Has anyone replaced the cutlass bearing on their E29, I can't see any set screws on the strut. Just trying to confirm whether it is a press in or set screw and press.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Mine had no set-screw, but it was also obviously not the original strut.

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Cutlass

My 73' 27 had no set screws on the strut. My 87' 28 does have set screws on the strut.

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Sounds like I am not overlooking setscrews, I will proceed to press the cutlass bearing out, I hope. I know the trick of freezing the new one to make it easier to install.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I had no problem pressing them in or out using an ad hoc tool assembled from material on hand: A piece of all-thread, some nuts, washers, and a wrench socket just slightly smaller than the bearing. I may have lubricated the new one - can't really remember now.

Rob R

StrutPro works

I used the StrutPro to change the cutlass on my E29. The rudder and shaft did not have to be removed. There was no issue installing the cutlass that required freezing the cutlass. No set screws. The attached photo shows the StrutPro removing the cutlass and where I had scrapped looking for set screws. Hope this helps.
Rob R

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 119