Cutlass Bearing Removal on 1973 E27

Hawaii Sailor

E27, Kaneohe, Hawaii
Aloha,

I got my first sailboat with an inboard and I'm inexperienced with this type of drive system. The shaft has some play in the strut and I need to haul out to replace the cutlass bearing.

Couple Questions:
Are there any inexpensive DIY tools for removing the cutlass bearing? Any information on this procedure would be helpful. The strut pro is too expensive and I'm not sure how to build one similar. I did not see if there are set screws in the srut, but I'll check when I'm in the water again.

Also looking for recommendations on cutlass bearing types or companies to work with. Information on the exact measurements would be a plus as well.

Thank you!

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Here's a recent thread:

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
If the shaft is original, then you will find that it has worn where it contacts the bearing. On the hard I'd pull the shaft and check it. Then, using a hack saw or Sawzall with a metal cutting blade cut through the bearing being careful not to cut into the strut. Make at least three cuts and pry the sections out of the strut. To put the new bearing in you can make a simple press from a couple of threaded rod and pieces of angle iron. I did this on my 73' 27. Found that the shaft was so worn it had to be replaced.

JSM

Member III
In the past I have used a hack saw. Put the blade in the cutless and then install the handle (the blade is now upside down in the handle). Carefully say thru the bearing two places and wrestle it out.
To install the new bearing I used threaded rod with washers and nuts on both ends. Lube up the bearing with some dish soap and drive the new bearing in by tightening down the nuts.