Guest viewing is limited

Custom wood on a 1973 E-35-2 (was 32-2)

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
This is my new dock neighbor Nick's Custom 1973 E-32. Nick did all this fancy woodwork himself, including the window frames, port lights, rub rails, belay pins and the sea serpent on the bow as well as the Awl-grip paint. Nick is from Greece and is a professor of Greek Mythology, so of course the name of his boat is "Odysseas". I had posted photos of this boat a couple of years ago before I got acquainted with Nick. Took these photos on Christmas Day when it was 83 degrees just outside of the Port Of LA before the wind piped up.

Well I just thought this was appropriate for the "Design" section. This Guy did not stress when he couldn't find parts like the rub rails and window frames, he just attacked it DIY! You should see the inside. No shoes allowed. :egrin:

Attachments

• PC250042.jpg
    PC250042.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 267
  • PC250043.jpg
    PC250043.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 136
  • PC250044.jpg
    PC250044.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 182
  • PC250045.jpg
    PC250045.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 410
  • PC250046.jpg
    PC250046.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Nice!

That's a LOT of custom wood work!
From the transom shape I would guess that it's an E-35-2, though.

Loren

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
That's a LOT of custom wood work!
From the transom shape I would guess that it's an E-35-2, though.

Loren

Well I don't think so because he's in a 30' slip right next to me and that he told me it was a 32. It could be lost in translation though because Nicks English is a little rough. I'll get back to you Loren. Btw, did you know there is a Olsen 40 named "She" in the Sydney Hobart this year?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Well I don't think so because he's in a 30' slip right next to me and that he told me it was a 32. It could be lost in translation though because Nicks English is a little rough. I'll get back to you Loren. Btw, did you know there is a Olsen 40 named "She" in the Sydney Hobart this year?

I understand what you mean about slip length vs boat length. It's a puzzle.

Not the first time a sailboat has been named "She" (or "Ayesha", which I have seen on transom's a number of times over the decades). Love the reference to "She who must be obeyed"
:rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/She:_A_History_of_Adventure

definitely NOT a person (or boat?) to mess with....
:)

Loren

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The spelling of the name threw me. At first I thought it was a play on words (seas).

Apparently, however, Odysseus is the spelling in ancient greek, but Odysseas is the current Greek spelling.

I'd love to hear why, as a scholar, he went with modern instead of the more familiar ancient.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
@ Loren thanks for a real good LOL!

@ Christian, I asked him about that. He wanted the English play on words.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I read with interest the wiki on Rider Haggard cited above.

For some of us the reference to "She who must be obeyed" was first encountered as reference by Rumpole (Leo McKern) to his seldom seen but formidable (to him, at least) spouse in the British limited series "Rumpole of the Bailey."

steven

Sustaining Member
the wood trim is really nice.
Also - I'd sure like a Bimini like that - but how does the mainsheet get around it?

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Then there's this

image.jpg

This was part of "The Rejection Collection," a bunch of cartoons submitted to the New Yorker that were for various reasons, usually obvious ones, not selected.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
the wood trim is really nice.
Also - I'd sure like a Bimini like that - but how does the mainsheet get around it?

I looked at the boat again this weekend. The boom clears the Bimini, but just by a couple of inches. It has a mid cockpit sheeting system with traveler but not a lot of purchase on the main sheet. Nick the owner was not around, but I want to ask him about how well it works the next time I see him. The Bimini is one that he fabricated himself. Nick told me that he built the frame and sews all his own canvas.