cushion combination for port settee bed on e35 mk III

Jim Ewell

We have a 1984 e35 mk III. I think we've tried every combination of cushions to make up the bed using the table settee area. Maybe I've missed something. Some are too big, some too small. Nothing seems to fit over the table top perfectly once it is lowered to the right position. Is there a special cushion for this that our boat is missing, or what's the right combination? My crew's getting cranky with the lumpy bed!

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Hi Jim, we have the sister ship to yours. To be honest, we have never tried what you are attempting. The PO of our boat had a 1 piece made that fits perfectly on the top of the table. So when we know we have extra overnight folks on board, we take the extra cushion to the boat. With that said, there must be some combination of existing cushions that will do the job.

I will be at the boat Sunday for our last race of our clubs fall season. Time permitting, I will see what fits, if at all.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
We have the same problem on our 1984 E30+, with none of the cushions fitting in any combination. I think I will have to re-think the cushion configuration when we get the upholstery redone to ensure we have a combination that fits.
Frank.

bigtyme805

Member III
Got to laugh I just had one made for my 1985 30+. Cost 180! There is no combination. Don't think this was designed very well. Plus on the 30+ this is the best full size bunk on the whole boat. Plenty of room and it may be the same on the 35.

Steve

Member III
Should be a special cushion that fits the table

We have a special cushion that fits the table perfectly. I would bet it was OEM because the design is the same as rest. All my cushion tags say J&C Boat Interiors - Irvine, CA and still have pencil on the back indicating e35-3 and the hull number. Have to say it gets in the way, so it's been in home storage a long time because we haven't used that sleeping option. That could be where yours is, perhaps the orginal owner forgot about it because it doesn't store well on board.

Steve
e35-3 #159

WBurgner

Member III
Table Support

The PO of my E381 had the dedicated cushion for the table bunk, but it stays in storage since we do not use it.

Something to consider if you have not done so already is center support for the table when used as a birth. The PO had a shorter piece of tubing cut to match the table pedestal. He evidently had a table failure based on the visible repair. Rather than have the table solely supported by the edges of the table, the shorter tube replaces the normal pedestal tube. Works great.

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Missing Cushion (s?)

Jim,

As others have said, theres a special dedicated cushion for the table (ours is residing in our basement). And I thought I'd mention since you are missing that one, do you have the small rectangular insert for the Q-Berth?

- Cory

Ray Rhode

Member III
Jim,

We have the special factory cushioin that others have mentioned and I made a center support that was also mentioned. If you want to use this arrangement consider three things. Unless that table is secured to keep it from sliding toware the center line, it will and you'll get dumped. You need to secure the cushion to the table top to keep it from sliding toward the center. We use some of the sticky mat that is meant for dishes and glasses. Finally you will find that the fiddles around the seats will always wind up in an uncomfortable spot (neck, back,etc.). I tried covering them with foam "noodles" and it did not help. Our cushionis under a bed at home and we only use the V-berth and quarter berth.

Ray Rhode
S/V Journey
E35-III, #189

Jim Ewell

Thanks folks. Looks like I'll be getting a cushion for that table top space. We do have the cushion for the Q-berth and V-berth. I guess I was assuming some combination of back cushions on board could be used when all berths are being used. I still think that would have been a good design. Oh Well.

jkm

Member III
Jim

When I purchased my E 35-2 five years ago most of the cushions were still wrapped in the factory wrap, including the table top cushion. The table top cushion became an issue on our first overnight-it wouldn't stay in place.

My solution is to use a strap that secures it in place, throw a Coleman bag over the bed and then make it. It's very comfortable and no more cushion separation. Ahhhhh!

John

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Jim -

I'm left wondering if you have the original table in your boat - or another shape. The original was this kind of skewed rectangle - like a parallelogram - narrower on the port side than toward the center.

I ask as I too had a custom cushion (OEM) that fit in there - like a glove (not that it helped any - the thing was horrible on my back). Do you have the original table top in there?

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Jim, it looks like the rest of the group chimed in here. I tried my best this weekend to fit combo's of existing cushions to no avail. And this was before the "after the race" Victory Snort.

If you have one made, perhaps you could have it covered with sunbrella or similar so it could be used to sit on while loungeing on the fore deck for those fine summer days. Kind of a dual purpose thing.

Jim Ewell

Thanks everyone. I'll get a cushion made. I don't know if its the original table. It's definately a rectangle in shape but I'll have to measure it to see if it is skewed or not.

bigtyme805

Member III
Jim I was at boat today and took a pic of the new cushion I had made, hope this helps.

Attachments

• DSC00167.JPG
    DSC00167.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 118