Cubbies near navigation table/electrical panels

dhill

Member III
Hi,

I'm curious what useful things folks are using the cubbies that may exist near the navigation table and electrical panels. They are not deep/tall enough really for books and they don't have fiddles to keep things in place (although those could easily be added).

cubbies.jpg

Thanks!
Dave

kapnkd

kapnkd
When we custom built an electrical panel into the aft rear quarter berth on our E32-II, we created one compartment for cell phones, wallets, car keys and boat registration with a closing door on it. It’s convenient, safe and dry.

as well. CBD4CA0A-B164-4408-ADEC-CB393817FB5E.jpeg

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Mine is different because it’s a custom panel, but has similar size cubbies. I’ve got doors on them, but the space isn’t used very efficiently because everything just slumps to the bottom. Some sort of internal organizer is needed, possibly fastened to the door so that it tips out.

But yeah, one is Captains Personal Effects (stuff that would be in my pockets, if I were wearing pants.) Wallet, phone, multitool, sunglasses, reading glasses, pocket light. Plus a little bag of quarters for marina showers.

One longer cubby has charting tools and desk drawer stuff. Rulers, protractors, parallels, etc. pens pencils, scissors, etc.

I know the third one will be special for something, but just haven’t found it yet. I think it’s got the remote controls for the AC and the Stereo in it. Oh, there’s another dedicated open rack for binoculars and spotlight with hooks to hold a deck key, rigging knife, and the autopilot remote. And the padlocks once they’re removed from the companionway and sail locker.

Last edited:

kapnkd

kapnkd
Mine is different because it’s a custom panel, but has similar size cubbies. I’ve got doors on them, but the space isn’t used very efficiently because everything just slumps to the bottom. Some sort of internal organizer is needed, possibly fastened to the door so that it tips out.

But yeah, one is Captains Personal Effects (stuff that would be in my pockets, if I were wearing pants.) Wallet, phone, multitool, sunglasses, reading glasses, pocket light. Plus a little bag of quarters for marina showers.

One longer cubby has charting tools and desk drawer stuff. Rulers, protractors, parallels, etc. pens pencils, scissors, etc.

I know the third one will be special for something, but just haven’t found it yet. I think it’s got the remote controls for the AC and the Stereo in it. Oh, there’s another dedicated open rack for binoculars and spotlight with hooks to hold a deck key, rigging knife, and the autopilot remote. And the padlocks once they’re removed from the companionway and sail locker.
We’ve since moved our cockpit bulkhead mount instruments which opened the two access cabinets inside to more storage. (One has a lock on it as well.)
CFA56B45-F618-4824-9AAA-33DECC50A962.jpeg

Also, the old original rear quarter berth cabinet had a top shelf railing we recycled into a convenient open catch all bin at the front bottom. Great for winch handles and easy to see whatever is in there.
11D8CA5D-3848-46DA-9DCB-0404660EDAFC.jpeg

Speaking of storage …Food for thought in the V-berth area. We also added two small shelves to the bulkheads of the V-berth for holding one’s cell phone. Also (not shown) is a convenient USB charging port close by.
F38601F6-03A3-4C15-9728-C5CEEF61C293.jpeg05FEB239-0E6F-46D8-922D-577B6AB99B88.jpeg

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I turned the nearest one to my panel into a “server room” for assorted bleep-bloop devices.

View attachment 41807
That stuff sure is pernicious. I did start out dedicating one of the cubbies to gadgets and terminal blocks, but it quickly metastasized and outgrew the space. I’ve relocated most of that to the backside of the chart table bulkhead, and plan to build a cabinet to conceal it. If it will Just. Stop. Growing! Inside of putative cabinet door could provide additional real estate.

kapnkd

kapnkd
Mine is just right for Nautical Almanac, Nav Rules book, and Eldridge's. Plus, a hand bearing compass.
There’s open shelving on our ‘73s stbrd side for books and ‘what-nots’.
D1899CE1-DBBB-427D-B616-B6B3C5C2374D.jpeg
When replacing main bulkheads, we found substantial extra space behind the seat back that we’ve now turned into a hidden storage area with a metal lock box glassed into it.

4A68D536-1831-4065-8C5B-0B4680D7CA04.jpeg
(The electronics are for our LED floor and shelf back lighting.)

9C1E1224-29F3-4991-9F32-D149B28B26A9.jpeg
(With soft seat back cushion removed)

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
That stuff sure is pernicious. I did start out dedicating one of the cubbies to gadgets and terminal blocks, but it quickly metastasized and outgrew the space. I’ve relocated most of that to the backside of the chart table bulkhead, and plan to build a cabinet to conceal it. If it will Just. Stop. Growing! Inside of putative cabinet door could provide additional real estate.
Impossible. You will always need more space for bleep bloops. The fourth article of Moores law of thermodynamics is that at the beer cools, it always seems like a good idea to add another thing with LED lights and does stuff.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Well that's a whole different problem: There are so many LEDs in the cabin now that it's hard to sleep. (And it's utterly impossible to sleep with that Raymarine ethernet switch ("Seatalk hs") in the same room.) Even the fridge temperature readout is too bright. Just the LED on the charger for my EDC pocket-light lights up the whole room - what were they thinking? All that stuff needs to go behind closed doors. And I might even need a curtain or something over the whole control panel.
On the bright side, there's probably enough light inside the gadget box to grow a tray of salad greens.

kapnkd

kapnkd
Well that's a whole different problem: There are so many LEDs in the cabin now that it's hard to sleep. (And it's utterly impossible to sleep with that Raymarine ethernet switch ("Seatalk hs") in the same room.) Even the fridge temperature readout is too bright. Just the LED on the charger for my EDC pocket-light lights up the whole room - what were they thinking? All that stuff needs to go behind closed doors. And I might even need a curtain or something over the whole control panel.
On the bright side, there's probably enough light inside the gadget box to grow a tray of salad greens.
Our LEDs were mostly for floor/sole lighting plus the bottom of one storage shelf and underside of the wine rack. Best part, they’re color programmable, dimmable and most important - on/off switches for them.
38F90A9B-8186-4194-8F26-4E617D234E72.jpeg1F8B9D33-CCA7-4C59-8297-CBAAFF20D1E3.jpeg249342EC-CCB8-40C0-82DA-943DF367E713.jpeg

markvone

Sustaining Member
When we custom built an electrical panel into the aft rear quarter berth on our E32-II, we created one compartment for cell phones, wallets, car keys and boat registration with a closing door on it. It’s convenient, safe and dry.

as well. View attachment 41806
THIS!! With a lock for valuables. Although, it may need to be more robust if you are world cruising. Would be fine for Annapolis.

Mark

kapnkd

kapnkd
THIS!! With a lock for valuables. Although, it may need to be more robust if you are world cruising. Would be fine for Annapolis.

Mark
Sadly my world cruising days are over at age 78. But for Great Lakes cruising, we’re in secure shape. ;-))