Cruising RPM's

Ernest

Member II
Hi Kim. We have a 35-3 with the 24 Horsepower version of your engine. We have done everything possible to eliminate vibration, including new mounts, alignment, flexible vibration dampner in the drive line behind the coupling and cutting the prop to 14" for 15% hull clearance. Our current pitch is 10.5". This allows the engine to run in the engine manual cruising range of 2000 to 2400. Maximum speed is 2800 R.P.M. for our Universal and should be the same or almost the same for your model. A 3 cyl engine naturally vibrates more at some speeds than others. It is never dead smooth like a straight 6 cyl. in your car. Aside from the alignment, which should be done after the boat is in the water for a few days, it sounds like the prop has too big a pitch. You should see no black smoke at normal cruise speeds.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Ernie,
If it's not too much trouble, could you tell us the steps you went through to replace the engine mounts?
Also, did you have to shorten the shaft for the vibration dampener?

Thanks,
Loren

Kim Schoedel

Member III
rpm's

Thanks everyone, Ernie-no black smoke at 2100 r's. I am still going to get the alignment checked and go from there.

Geoff, your Tiny Tach now has my attention. Do you need to be a mechanical guru to install Tiny? And does she require special wireing?
Thanks,

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
Kim, it's simple. Just measure the size of the line to the injector (I think it's 4mm) so that you get the right sized transducer. To install, you sandpaer the paint off the line to bare metal, bolt on the transducer, mount the Tinytach (I opted to mount mine over the engine (under the cover) and run one wire to a ground and the other to a power source (I installed a small positive bus over the engine for things I want energized by the ignition switch, such as the fuel pump.) The only tricky part is getting the transducer tight enough to read the pulses, but not so tight as to trash it (which I did and had to get a new one for $25).

Ernest

Member II
Loren. I'm getting too old to lie in an ackward prone position long enough to change the engine mounts. I'd hurt for 2 weeks. The yard did it. They did the alignment also. The vibration dampner went in after the alignment and required no mods. The shaft simply moved aft about an inch to make room. Ernie

CaptnNero

Accelerant
We have an '88 E34 wing keel with engine M25XP (23 hp). It now has a KiwiProp 15.5"x20degree 3 blade feathering prop.

At 2400rpm it gets 6.0 knots. At 2900 rpm it gets 6.6 knots. I averaged opposite courses in calm seas with a 7 knot wind in the direction of travel. The speed was measured with GPS.