Crowded River Sailing

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
This is from a series of pix posted up by a friend of mine from last Sunday's informal race.
Lots of different kinds of traffic to contend with here. Just thought you all would get a chuckle out of it.
Tug/Barge combos are entitled to "room" for a host of reasons!
:)
Loren

Attachments

• winterSailing.jpg
    winterSailing.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 90
  • SundaySailFeb-2010.jpg
    SundaySailFeb-2010.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

rgoff

Member III
Loren,

Is that Mt. Rainier or Mt. Hood (I'm guessing Rainier). I was RVing through the NW last summer and was right by both of them. Beautiful country!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hood

Rainier is the even larger mountain looming up SE of Seattle. Mt Hood it due east of Portland where I live. So Hood it is.

The river runs east-west on the compass in the stretch where we sail, and sometimes in the summers we can night-sail right up a path of moonlight when it rises.... above the last twilight view of the mountain top. Of course you have to be alert not to get run over by a barge in the dark! :rolleyes:

Best,
Loren

rgoff

Member III
After I posted, I changed my mind to Mt. Hood. :)

Here's a great shot of it I got in early July last year. I was camped at a beautiful Forest Svc campground on Trillium Lake, S of Mt. Hood.

If you're interested in "land cruising", I keep a detailed log of my travels here:
http://ramblinralph.com

Good sailing,

Attachments

• RVJuly09 076.jpg
    RVJuly09 076.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 33

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I was looking enviously at you all you guys on the river last Sunday as I took a break from fiberglassing. But it gave me motivation to finish this rebuild!

Those barges move quick. There are a ton of them on the lower Willamette where we do most of our sailing. Always fun to try and figure out avoidance maneuvers, especially when the wind is shifty and light!

Someday I'll get outta the yard...