Crack at the forestay attachment

Steve Murray

Inactive Member
I have a 1987 35III which has a hairline crack running around the bow just where the hull to deck joint should be. It's not a big crack; about four inches on each side of the bow (horizontally). The forestay attachment runs right over it. Is this common? It was pointed out to me today by someone who enjoys pointing out problems on other people's boats. I can't remember seeing it before.

Howard Keiper

Here's a pic o a new stemhead fitting I had made for the same reason.
Howard Keiper
Sea Quest
Berkeley

Attachments

• new stemhead.jpg
    new stemhead.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 132

Steve Murray

Inactive Member
Thanks Howard, did you determine the cause of the cracking? It appears to be cosmetic and not structural to me. I plan to fix it when I pull the boat in October with a Dremel tool and gelcoat. There are no signs of impact or previous repairs.

Steve Murray
E35 III 222
Charlottetown PEI

Howard Keiper

Steve....

I don't remember just how I discovered it-I think it may have been during one of my rust removal tours of the boat. In any case, the crack scared the devil out of me. The original stemhead is only about 1/8" thick anyway, and I was concerned about fatigue. The Berkeley yard did the job...about $100 or so. Cheap insurance.

hk

Howard Keiper

Steve...

As I re-read your post, I realize that we're talking about two different problems. But anyway, I think it appropriate.

hk

Steve Murray

Inactive Member
I think so too. The stemhead on the 35 III has a roller incorporated and attaches in both planes. The metal is fine. The crack is in the glass, like a little smile just where (I think) the joint would be if I ground it all down. From what I read, the joint is a multi-layered affair so the appearance and direction of the crack puzzles me. I don't think it is serious but wanted to see if it was common to 35 III's

Steve Murray
E35 III 222
Charlottetown PEI

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Not uncommon

Our 35-3 (1984-#163) has the same minor cracks in the gelcoat at the bow, and I have seen similar on a lot (but not all) Ericsons of the same vintage. When I installed our windlass last spring (and ripped out the anchor bin) I was able to confirm that the crack does not go through the glass, so we're not worrying about it.

I think you are right that the crack is at the hull-to-deck joint (its directly in line with the rubrail - which doesn't wrap around the bow like it does on 70's vintage Ericsons). I kinda wonder if the gelcoat there was applied after the deck was put on, and maybe didn't "stick" as well as the stuff in the mold, and hence the cracking? Just a thought.

- Cory

Last edited: