Counter Tops

Blair

I have been frustrated with trying to bring life back to the formica counter tops - any suggestions?

David Irwin

I was going to just pull out mine and replace with soilid surface material (Corian or equal). the easiest way is to do it is to make a 1/4" plywood template of the size you need with any jogs in it etc. and where the sink cut out will be, ice box ect. take it to a fabricator and have them make it up for you. Install by adhereing it to the cabinets with silicone, screws are a solid surface no no.
It is exspensive stuff per sf. but the counters on boats are so small its perfect. Some have complained of weight but again it comes back to size, the material itself is only 1/2" thick and the tradational 1 1/2 " edge is done with a build up around the perimeter of the top.

David Irwin

1. At the ice box the fabricator can make a hole with nice radius corners and secure strips of the same material to the under side of the 1/2" thick material, forming a lip around the hole.

2.(rout the top face of the strip for 1/4" gasket material and get fancy if you like)

3. Then they can cut a top to fit the hole, rout the top for a finger pull or make a finge hole in the middle of the top.

4. adhere ridged styrofoam to the under side of the lid in a dimension slightly smaller tham the cleats of the opening in the counter top Silicone or adhesive recomended by fabricator.