cost of canvas

steven

Sustaining Member
I'm due for a new mainsail cover and new dodger canvas (frame is fine). Haven't bought canvas in awhile, so expecting sticker shock. Anyone have a sense - ballpark - on about what these run?

Thanks

--Steve

Sven

Seglare
Think we paid ~$3K for a complete new dodger and bimini, with frame and all and covers for all the Isinglass (sp ?). Think the mainsail, helm, windlass, winch covers came to another $1K.

-Sven

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
Sunbrella is about $18 a yard. You have patterns (the old pieces) a regular sewing machine will do a great job. If you know anyone who sews it is not an expensive job. I did all the hatch covers wench covers and wheel cover for about $200. Edd

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Sunbrella can be found for as little as $12/yd. Check out eBay and there used to be a place in Fl(not sailrite) that sold it cheaper.

I made my own mainsail cover and it is probably one of the easiest pieces you can make if it does not have lazy jack slots.

jsnaulty

Member II
wench covers

exodus-
why do you want to cover your wenches?I personally like them best uncovered!

steve naulty
ericson 35-3 anodyne

steven

Sustaining Member
thanks for feedback. right on target.

quotes on mainsl cover and dodger - no frills - coming in around 3k - 4k. So I'm going to make not buy. My forebears were garment workers, so possibly I inherited a sewing gene.

(or with this kind of markup, maybe I'll open a replacement canvas shop)

--Steve

Sven

Seglare
So I'm going to make not buy. My forebears were garment workers, so possibly I inherited a sewing gene.

Start with the easy ones. We did the sail cover and hatch cover and engine cover for La Petite and the hatch covers and fender covers for Senta II.

You don't want to start with the tight tolerance stuff and end up with the tiller trash look :egrin:

-Sven

steven

Sustaining Member
mainsl cover update

Bought mainsail cover off the shelf from sailboatowners.com. They have lots of pattern including E35. A few hundred $. Nice fit and workmanship. color matches. I'm going to do a couple of custom mods myself (e.g., winch cutouts). I really like the flap covering the front zipper. Plastic zippers disintegrate in the sun - but the flap should protect it. Went with the default plastic strap fasteners under the boom instead of swivel metal thingys - which in my experience both break and tear out.

Also: located a vintage Singer (with all metal parts). Getting ready to tackle the dodger replacement.

Thanks for all advice from this forum - came in very handy (including selecting the Singer model).

--Steve