Correct or Ideal Prop for E29 w/Atomic 4?

Sailingdog

I recently purchased a 1971 E29 and am in the process of bringing her back to life. Just finished installing a rebuilt Atomic 4 and now need to replace the existing prop (an old 2 blade). Are there any suggestions on how I determine ideal prop size, pitch & 2 or 3 blade? I've heard that stock isn't always ideal, although it would be nice to know where I can find out what the stock size was.

Thanks for any suggestions.

jkenan

Member III
Tom at Indigo Electronics has developed a superb prop for Direct Drive A4's. Check it out at:

http://www.atomic4.com/propeller.html

I purchased one a year ago and love it. Motored about 400 miles with it when I bought my boat, some of it ICW. Defintely a plus in head seas.

Good Luck.

jkm

Member III
I've researched the props for the A4 till I was blue in the face.

The indigo prop is the best way to go. It's affordable, trouble free and Tom at Indigo will actually take the time to talk you thru the process.

Emerald

Just to add to the list of really satisfied customers, I put the Indigo on my prior E-27, and think it was incredible for her. Also, I believe the low drag claims as I hit 7.2 knots through the water (under sail) with the Indigo prop (yes, it was blowing like stink...)

-David
Independence 31
Emerald

Tom Prince

Ditto all of the above. The Indigo allows the engine to run at higher RPM giving you more available horsepower, and a happier engine. A very important feature for me is the ability to reverse and stop with much more control in and out of my narrow(shared with Grand Banks 32) slip.

Tom
E 27
Holomoku

jmoses

Member III
CDI Prop

Don't forget the CDI "Perfect Pitch" Atomic-4 prop. I have had a CDI installed now for 4 years and it's a fine addition to my E-35 MKII - no prop walk, engine hits revs and good reverse as well.

Yes, the CDI is polymer, but no corrosion or worries about having a zinc on it.

CDI prop = $250.00
Indigo prop= $295.00

Joe Benedict

Member II
CDI/Indigo Prop

I bought my Indigo prop last year and had considered the CDI prop but they no longer make it (at least last year they didn't.) The Indigo prop is great and most of all you actually get a reverse.