Coronary over cushion Recover

Hey Guys, I'm pleased to announce that "The Blue Heeler" finally arrived from Sandusky this past Thursday afternoon. My wife and I finally have our boat, kind of. We still have a few tasks to finish before we put her in the water, but we are closer finally.

As to the topic of this post. My wife took our foam cushions to a local upholstry shop here in Nashville to get a quote. The quote to do Sunbrella on all 6 of our cushions and all the backrests inside is......... $2000!!!!!! I almost passed out. Should we keep looking for other quotes or is this in the fair range of prices?

Guy Stevens

Pretty Normal

That is a pretty normal price range for having them done in sunbrella. The fabric itself retails for something on the order of $25.00 a yard.

However you may want to check around, I know several people that have had great jobs done by people that were not in the "Marine" industry. They were able to get upholstery shops that were good at what they did do a good job.

Guy
:)

treilley

Sustaining Partner
You can get the Sunbrella for less than $10 yard(60" wide) on Ebay if you are patient. Take the old cover and the new Sunbrella to a local upholsterer and have them copy the old covers. Here in Maine we have a lot of "home" upholsterers that do great work for cheap money. I did my own in my Pearson 28 and it was not hard. My wife's Brother machine had no problems with the Sunbrella and a denim needle.

Guy Stevens

Yes E-bay is a good source for sunbrella

However there are a lot of people selling acrylic died canvass that is not Sunbrella. Make sure that you get REAL Sunbrella if you are going to do the job yourself.

Guy
:)

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Congrats on the arrival, I hope you guys have a great season! :egrin:

//sse

rgraham

Member II
Cheaper way to go

If you need to replace the foam, check out FLUFFO in Nashville they had the best price for new foam (I was quoated $1200 for foam alone from upholstery shops, I was able to get a sandwich of 3 inches of foam and 2 inches of memory foam for less than $500). I then got a guy in Nashville to do the recover using a heavy duty naugahyde so for a total maybe 1800.00 (although this was 4 years ago) I was able to get everything replaced. This was for an E-36 RH and it was 13 cushions.

Robert

Steve Swann

Member III
Yup, ain't cheap - but ah, that NEW smell !

I did my E25 two years ago with both new foam and Sunbrella. It was about $1,000 for this whole shebang and felt like I got a deal. I wanted new, never used, clean foam that didn't smell (I also don't share my toothbrush). I bought upgraded foam and realized it was too firm for comfortable sleeping, so we added an eggshell pad to each of the sleeping bunks. Sailrite has a nice collection of different fabrics for cushion-making, but I don't consider them exactly cheap, either.

Advice? Know what you are buying before making an expensive mistake.

taz4

E29 1977
Cushions

I bought my sunbrella from ebay, 20yds X 60" for $100. I then posted an ad on craigs list and have been quoted between $15 to $40 per cushion.

Im now having someone work on them for $20 per cushion.

Not to bad in the long run.