Core rot in E31-I

TakeFive

Member II
Looking for copy of article by Brian Sokol, Core Delamination Repair, ca 2004.
E31 has extensive rot around forward hatch and fore deck.
Planning on attacking from underneath, but would like to get tips and tricks before I start.

Thanks

-Garrett

Emerald

Garrett, I believe this is the link that you are looking for: http://home.comcast.net/~ericson-sailing/projects.html?ID=3&title=Core Delamination Repair.

After posting the link, I found that it doesn't take you to the article. Maybe Glyn knows how to access it.

I think you'll find the link above is not currently working. I will spare you the detail, but the short story is the original site was hosted elsewhere, and as it was going off-line, I sucked it down and got part way through recreating it. I will see if I can fix this link for you tonight. Off hand, I can't promise I have the content, but hopefully I do.

TakeFive

Member II
I think you'll find the link above is not currently working. I will spare you the detail, but the short story is the original site was hosted elsewhere, and as it was going off-line, I sucked it down and got part way through recreating it. I will see if I can fix this link for you tonight. Off hand, I can't promise I have the content, but hopefully I do.

Many Thanks

Glyn Judson

Replacing core from below.

Garrett, Although I can't get Brian's piece either, I think it's pretty straight foreword. Keiffer, a fellow E31 owner has done this same thing and I have several photos of his progress that I'm happy to share with you. Feel free to contact me at glynjudson@roadrunner.com and I'll be glad to pass them on to you. Keiffer essentially removed all rotted core using a Dremel tool by cutting through the overhead and into the messy rot. Once cleaned out, he replaced the core and glassed over the overhead to seal it all in. Be advised, make sure to over drill each fastener hole from below so as to create a cavity that can be filled from the top using West System 105 or its equivalent. Then the fastener holes can be redrilled through the solid epoxy, assuring a permanent seal when properly bedded. What hull number do you own? Of a total of 73 31's laid up, I've yet to locate #67 & #68 in the last twenty years of searching. Cheers, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

TakeFive

Member II
Garrett, Although I can't get Brian's piece either, I think it's pretty straight foreword. Keiffer, a fellow E31 owner has done this same thing and I have several photos of his progress that I'm happy to share with you. Feel free to contact me at glynjudson@roadrunner.com and I'll be glad to pass them on to you. Keiffer essentially removed all rotted core using a Dremel tool by cutting through the overhead and into the messy rot. Once cleaned out, he replaced the core and glassed over the overhead to seal it all in. Be advised, make sure to over drill each fastener hole from below so as to create a cavity that can be filled from the top using West System 105 or its equivalent. Then the fastener holes can be redrilled through the solid epoxy, assuring a permanent seal when properly bedded. What hull number do you own? Of a total of 73 31's laid up, I've yet to locate #67 & #68 in the last twenty years of searching. Cheers, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

Straightforward? You mean just leave my credit card at West's?

In process of renovating #ERY31X31M78H. Appears to be in original condition with exception of Yanmar 3YM added a few years ago and newer teak bowsprit.
Area around forward hatch extremely spongy. Stress cracks around hatch fillet expand when walking near it.
Mid fore deck is springy, but due to the potential stresses in the area is probably of more concern than the hatch.
Both hatches are a bit on the leaky side as are a couple of the Perko ports.

I'll contact via email, could use all the info I can obtain. I don't want to end up with a hack core job on such a nice boat.

Last edited:

Glyn Judson

Recoring.

Garrett, Thanks for the hull information, I'll net the change on my Owners list. This pending job, just as many on a boat is a series of small ones all piled up on one another. You'll do just fine. By the way, it's a different West, here's a link to their site: http://www.westsystem.com/ss Standing by, Glyn

TakeFive

Member II

Emerald

I'm getting the pieces back together - this is not pretty, but you can go here directly:

http://home.comcast.net/~ericson-sailing/projects.core.html?ID=3&title=Core Delamination Repair

and you may or may not find more pieces coming on line. I'll see what I can clean up and get working over the next few days.

TakeFive

Member II
I'm getting the pieces back together - this is not pretty, but you can go here directly:
http://home.comcast.net/~ericson-sailing/projects.core.html?ID=3&title=Core Delamination Repair
and you may or may not find more pieces coming on line. I'll see what I can clean up and get working over the next few days.

Between this and Roscoe's site I believe I have enough info to make the "go for it" decision.
The pictures pull it all together. Process is now clear in my mind. Pain of past projects a distant memory.
There is a lot of conflicting info out there, ahhh, for the days before the internet when we knew nothing...

Thanks for taking the time to find an article from 2004. I owe you some before/after pics.

-Garrett

Emerald

No problem on digging the article out. I needed some incentive to get this project of recreating this website rolling again. It helps if you think someone is actually going to use it :egrin:

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Bless your hearts for doing this repair from below, but I expect my life will be too short to consider fighting gravity like that. Do it from above, and let gravity be your friend instead of your adversary! If you make the area you repair large enough, it can be symmetrical and any perceived interruption to the nonskid will be a nonissue. The factory nonskid is not likely to be a particularly show-worthy feature of your boat. The ability to tread on the deck with confidence is.

My contribution to the science of core replacement is to use 3/16" G10 as replacement outer skin. Better - stronger - faster than trying to reuse the original skin. I've done this twice and will say that the second time is a lot less stressful than the first (pictured below). Tooling for this job is minimal: a grinder, a sander, and scissors for the fiberglass tape.

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoex...-E32-cockpit-core-repair-an-illustrated-guide

Keiffer

Member II
Garrett,

Are you a new owner of E31 Take Five?

As Glen mentioned I did some fairly extensive re-coring of my deck from below and it is really not a difficult project. I assume Glyn shared some photos with you, if not let me know and I can send you some.

I will say that one thing that made my repair easy (easier) is that I had removed the vinyl overhead and did not plan on replacing it. I went back with a wood overhead in lieu of the original vinyl.

Don't be shy in asking questions as I as well as other E31 owners on the site have repaired or replaced just about everything that can be repaired or replaced on these boats.

The E31 is one fine craft and I enjoy working on mine as much as I do sailing it.