***Converting 32-2 from Diesel to ALL ELECTRIC?***

Dagny

Member I
Wondering if anyone has converted their Ericson (or other sailboat, for that matter) from Gas/Diesel to All Electric? Christian Williams and Solarken have commented on this briefly in another thread, but -- as Christian so wisely requested -- it's probably best to start a new thread on this topic.

I currently have four 100w solar panels kicking out 13.7v into a 250Ah LFP array (200Ah LFH + 50 Ah Lead Acid for the CCA to start my Perkins 3-cylinder diesel). All about adding more/swapping out existing solar panels, charge controllers, batteries, and whatnot! Any members have any experience with this?

Curious as to available options for motors and controllers...as well as hp/torque output, efficiency, durability and so on. Would love nothing more than to get away from my noisy diesel, since I have so spend quite a bit of time motoring around various channels, rivers, etc. Would even consider a wind turbine, even though they're not the quietest...at least from what I've experienced.

Any and all comments are appreciated. Successes AND failures!

Thank you!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Great thread about voyaging with electric power.

David Vaughn

Member II
Blogs Author
For what it’s worth, we converted our previous boat, a Beneteau 235, from a gas outboard (which was missing when we bought it) to electric. We were delighted with the result.

Be glad to answer any questions about that installation, but my first advice would be, if you haven’t already, have a very clear vision of how you intend to use the boat before you go very far. We intended the Beneteau to be a day sailer with an occasional overnight only, so we equipped her as such. For different goals we would have made different choices.

Dagny

Member I
For what it’s worth, we converted our previous boat, a Beneteau 235, from a gas outboard (which was missing when we bought it) to electric. We were delighted with the result.

Be glad to answer any questions about that installation, but my first advice would be, if you haven’t already, have a very clear vision of how you intend to use the boat before you go very far. We intended the Beneteau to be a day sailer with an occasional overnight only, so we equipped her as such. For different goals we would have made different choices.
Thanks, David. You said your "previous boat" was converted to electric. What about your current vessel? If she's not electric, any particular reason why not?

mordust

Member II
We converted our previous boat (Ericson 27) to Electric. We went with ElectricYachts 10 KW motor and were very happy with it.

Solarken

Member II
Okay I found the post.

2017 conversion. A few trials but mostly with prop and prior battery life.

I did the whole job myself after I had the iron block and fuel tank removed legally by someone who can recycle the fuel and oil.

This feels like it will be a long post thread.

Dagny

Member I
Thanks, Kenny. Not anything I'm going to be rushing into, just looking to get as much information as I can at this phase!

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
I started the thread below for the E35. There are links there to previous discussions of electric motors in general but they are not model specific.

I have tried to get feedback via the manufacturers from boat owners who have installed electric motors, but nothing has come through yet other than Mark's comments on here about his E27.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

mordust

Member II
Thanks for that, Bob! How many knots are you able to get using the electric?
We had 4 185 AH AGM thin plate pure lead batteries.
As I recall, when just heading in and out of the harbor at a reasonable 3 to 3 1/2 knots, our instrument showed we could do that for about 6
hours. To answer your question, the motor would push the boat right up to theoretical hull speed, which in that boat is just a hair over 6 knots.
However, at that speed, we would run out of juice a few minutes shy of 1 hour.
Sorry I'm less than exact, but it has been a few years since we had her.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
For a thorough understanding of electric power for sailboats I don't think there is a better source than "Sailing Uma."

They started years ago, and went through homemade solutions, sail drive issues, and eventual sponsorship for their current setup.

They are rational and honest about the tradeoffs and challenges. It would take a while to follow their video experience, but anybody considering electric would profit from the time spent. Here's one of their videos:

Shawn Brooks

Member II
It's very, very hard to beat the reliability of a diesel engine and the enormous energy density of diesel fuel compared to LiPO3. As an electrical engineer with clients that include EV companies *and* a 32-3 owner, the thought of converting my boat has most definitely crossed my mind, but ultimately the tech is just not practical for most cruisers (myself included)...yet. Electric propulsion for a 2-3 hours in calm conditions? Sure. Still not worth it dollars/mile or in terms of risk, but it will work fine.

That said, there is the "I just wanna do it" factor to consider. Sailing Uma has mostly useful (but not always strictly correct) information--a reasonable place to for a DIYer to start playing. You'll definitely want to be handy and have a basic understanding of power electronics, battery tech, glasswork, mechanics, and machining capability--or have loads of cash.

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Regarding energy density of diesel: With 70 gallons I can motor for 700 miles at 5 knots.

Using the diesel, I can replenish 20 amps to my house bank (my daily draw) in one hour, for $3.

Good electric systems are not cheap: Oceanvolt says, "electric motor systems typically cost about 20-25% more than comparable diesel systems."

I enjoy my Torqueedo outboard, which can run one hour at WOT. Unfortunately, at the end of that hour, the battery is depleted and recharge time is about 10 hours. That factor--once battery expended, no function until recharged--is insufficiently taken into consideration.

Not bashing electric. Perhaps you could say, defending diesel.

Solarken

Member II
Sorry for no reply. Been too busy!
so. Electric is great for all the reasons you can imagine. Silent, no heat in the cabin, no smells, nothing dripping in the bilge, on and on. But it’s not for making your boat a motorboat. However I motored from Newport Beach to Avalon at about 4 kts. I had full battery when I left and when I arrived. I ran a Honda 2000W generator on the foredeck. There was no wind at all. ½ meter swell. The trip used less than 2 gallons of gas. ⛽️ I prefer to sail, even if overnight. But I had to go that day. Most times I’m not stuck like that. If I did it over I would spend more and go with a 20kW motor. And bigger batteries. I’m going to add $6000 more in batteries anyway. But I’m quite happy with my system. It cost me about the same as a new diesel without counting installation of the diesel. As a rule I’m very happy.

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Why don't we see any Hybrid solutions for boats? Range anxiety is real and there are no quick charge stations on the water that I know of. Although I can count them on one hand, there were times when my motor saved me from near disaster and a lot of undue discomfort. I would love the comfort of electric but require the range and reliability of my diesel for peace of mind.

Shawn Brooks

Member II
Your intuition is right--diesel electric (a diesel genset + electric motor + battery) has the best chance of working well for the the most people but it needs to be scaled into mass production to make sense. Economy of scale just isn't there yet--it's just barely there for EV's (if you take away gov subsidies) even now which is a much, much bigger market.

For now it's just the oceanvolts of the world installing into pricy custom boats--and the DIY'ers who like to tinker more than sail (not a bad thing really--I tend toward this, myself).

Dagny

Member I
Sorry for no reply. Been too busy!
so. Electric is great for all the reasons you can imagine. Silent, no heat in the cabin, no smells, nothing dripping in the bilge, on and on. But it’s not for making your boat a motorboat. However I motored from Newport Beach to Avalon at about 4 kts. I had full battery when I left and when I arrived. I ran a Honda 2000W generator on the foredeck. There was no wind at all. ½ meter swell. The trip used less than 2 gallons of gas. ⛽️ I prefer to sail, even if overnight. But I had to go that day. Most times I’m not stuck like that. If I did it over I would spend more and go with a 20kW motor. And bigger batteries. I’m going to add $6000 more in batteries anyway. But I’m quite happy with my system. It cost me about the same as a new diesel without counting installation of the diesel. As a rule I’m very happy.
Thanks for the reply and all the info! *I've also been away and haven't been able to sign back in until now. Great to hear about your battery plans! It is after all a sailboat and all I'm looking for is something to get me in and out of the harbor...and maybe turn on occasionally when it gets super gusty and I need to drop the main. I do understand that diesel packs quite a wallop in terms of energy efficiency but this boat is only a day sailor for zipping around the SF Bay or hugging the NorCal coast. I think battery power would suit me quite well in such a situation!