Conversion to Engineless Coastal Cruiser

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
Wow! only 20 posts to get you thinking in the right direction! I have no help with the how of the oar thing... but solute you in the WHY, namely "as a backup to a backup sort of deal" Our work here is done! Now hold that thought and the rest will work out fine! Edd:egrin:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
"Road Trip!"

Hey Edd,
My computer mapping app sez it's only about 380 miles between you guys. You should consider a road trip with a case of IPA and your bag of tools.
:rolleyes:
You guys could have an Ericson Owners' Greasy Hands Winter BBQ and IPA weekend and further subtitle it a Land Cruise Rendezvous !

Cheers,
Loren
:egrin:

If it happens on a Saturday, call up Click n Clack (on NPR) for further advise.......

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
Loren, actually I am currently in Ventura. My boat is still in Martinez though. I am considerably under 380 miles, and did think about offering to take a look at it. The holiday got in the way though... need to go home & visit the boat... and wife. But after next week I'll be up for a visit if needed. Edd:egrin:

cave_dog

Update:

Just wanted to revive this thread and once again ask if anyone has had direct experience with adapting a 30ish Ericson to use an oar sculling system, or any other boat for that matter. I'm wondering what type of measurements would have to be made and at what angle (using the top of the stern where the oarlock is mounted as a perpendicular plane) the optimal amount of forward force would be derived? If I can estimate the angle, then I can take the measurements myself to see if the wheel will be a barrier for a sculling oar.

Thanks for all the help and wonderful advice,
I'm getting CLOSER!
Cave Dog

joe-fran

Member II
A4 engine removal and re-build

Cave Dog

There is a great article in this month's GOOD OLD BOAT magazine.
(January / February 2011 issue)

It details the complete removal, re-build and re-install of an OLD A4.

You need to read this and the Moyer Marine handbook before giving up on your current motor. Best of luck

Joe