Considerations if changing battery chemistries

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Anytime we change out a battery bank we look at alternatives to the existing system, based on flooded-lead battery technology.
This is a long and interesting article from a source that I trust.

As I have long suspected, other parts of the boat's charging scheme would have to change, also. A modern shore power charger has different output criteria, but out stock alternator would seem to need to be replaced with an externally regulated one ($$).
No conclusions reached for us at this juncture. Our present "mature technology" system fits our needs, so there is no real pressure to change... yet...
I am starting to wonder if deep cycle lead-acid batteries for boats is a declining market with steadily diminishing sources? :(

southofvictor

Member III
Blogs Author
Thanks for the article Lauren it’s a good read. Is there currently a problem with availability of deep cycle lead acid batteries? While the long term prospects of lithium seem stronger I’d imagine there’s going to be a good market for lead acid for a while yet, wouldn’t you? “Lead is Dead” seems a little like a click-bait headline to me (though the author is legit).

peaman

Sustaining Member
I’d imagine there’s going to be a good market for lead acid for a while yet, wouldn’t you? “Lead is Dead” seems a little like a click-bait headline to me
I agree. I'm retired from a career in HVAC, and from at least the '80's, the demise of refrigerant R-22 was coming soon. While new units are no longer commonly available with that due to regulated prohibitions, the refrigerant is still available for existing units thanks to recycling. Similarly, lead from batteries is really easy to recycle, and lead will continue to be readily available for a long time thanks to batteries returned for core value as well as those retired for replacement by newer technology. I feel pretty secure that I will not be much interested in newer technologies for the primary batteries in my boat for as along as I own it. But the new stuff is great for all other uses.

Kevin A Wright

Member III
Hi Loren,

I do the same thing - evaluate the latest and greatest when it comes time to make a replacement. And while newer battery technologies have made great strides in many applications where weight is a big factor, I just don't see that as such a big factor in a sailboat (actually I'd have to adjust the trim on my boat if I got rid of the house bank). I replaced my main house battery 2 years ago, and the big change I made was to to with 2 6v golf cart batteries instead of one huge 12v house battery. Simply because it was a whole lot easier for this old duffer to carry half the weight twice up/down the companionway. And as you said, you will not only pay a whole lot more per amp hour for the new batteries, you will need updated charging systems etc to go along with it.

Kevin Wright
E35 Hydro Therapy

Filkee

Sustaining Member
I agree. I'm retired from a career in HVAC, and from at least the '80's, the demise of refrigerant R-22 was coming soon. While new units are no longer commonly available with that due to regulated prohibitions, the refrigerant is still available for existing units thanks to recycling. Similarly, lead from batteries is really easy to recycle, and lead will continue to be readily available for a long time thanks to batteries returned for core value as well as those retired for replacement by newer technology. I feel pretty secure that I will not be much interested in newer technologies for the primary batteries in my boat for as along as I own it. But the new stuff is great for all other uses.
I work for the state and we are spending many millions to sunset the R-22 heat pumps in our office buildings but I bought two new lead acid’s yesterday.

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
No, lead is not dead and they still have their place, for some that's still on a boat. I work in telecom and we install lead acid in every application and it's a great fit. However, lithium has been a game changer for me and my family on our boat. I saved on cost by putting my own battery together and limiting the charge source to a single DC to DC charger with all other charging sources going to the engine start AGM battery. It doesn't take full advantage of Lithium's ability to take anything you give it throughout the charge curve. It works for us because we are in the Puget sound where you can spend a few nights on anchor then go to a dock to charge overnight and head back out. If you want to stay out longer, limit your load or charge off the alternator. This is far from perfect, but when compared to the old configuration or what I could fit in our boat with lead acid, there really is no comparison. We went from 40 useable amp hours (two group 24 with one dedicated to the engine) to about 250 useable amp hours (280 ah cells limited to 250 to extend the service life). The new lithium pack is about the size of a group 31 and the start battery is still a group 24. I don't have to worry about leaving lights on, sailing with the autopilot and GPS, or the kids charging everything at once.

You do have to address your charging system, but that doesn't mean you have to overhaul every charge source on the boat. It's a tradeoff with charging time, cost, and usable capacity in a limited space. I chose to sacrifice charging time to minimize cost while getting the most out of my limited space. I've added a little more detail in this post: