Compass refill

JORGE

Member III
Does anyone know of the type of fluid used in a Danforth Express pedestal compass, which I have. I nned to refill some air got inside during maintenance.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
A Sailor on a Budget!

I have always been told it is Mineral Oil. Then I asked where do I get Mineral Oil? The answer was Baby Oil. I checked the ingredients on the label of the Baby Oil and low and behold it said Mineral Oil. I did a refill on a old Gemini Compass and it worked fine. You might want to do your self a favor and not spend all that money on Compass Oil. I don't think there's much difference. Just keep tapping it until all the bubbles are out an re seal. You might have to do that a few times.

Signed

A Sailor on a Budget!

John N.W.Webb

Compass refill.

Years ago I bought an old Sestrel 4" compass that had a bubble in it & I was advised to put it in the deep-freezer for 2 hours before topping it up with alcohol & although I could not get all the air out , by the time it warmed up the bubble was gone. I do not know if it will work with your compass but maybe there is some-one out there that can offer a suggestion.
John N.W.W.

Guy Stevens

Mineral Oil, Alcahol are both used

It is pretty easy to tell what was used in yours even if there is very little left.

Guy
:)

tenders

Innocent Bystander
West Marine sells mineral oil in bottles for a few bucks. Baby oil might do it but if the additives turn the liquid or the inside of the compass cloudy you'll be disappointed.

jkm

Member III
Buy your mineral oil at a drug store-that's were a yankee would go. West Marine is a great store to window shop, but look elsewhere if you can.

John