Comparison of Sewing Machines Video

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I like sewing stuff for the boat, but sometimes I shake my head at the time it takes to measure, plan, order materials, prep, cut, stitch and fit.

After five years I finally bought a Sailrite LSZ-1. Yes, it can sew through just about anything that fits under the needle.

But my home machines can do almost everything else.

The walking-foot feature of professional machines is useful, but doesn't replace having to manhandle, stretch, pull and guide material through the needle alley.

That's because we don't have a sail loft to lay cloth out on, or a cutaway sewing table large enough to hold any project larger than a hatch cover.

Meaning, we still have to forcefully guide large bundles of cloth--and if you have to do that, a walking foot adds little to the standard home machine features.

One thing widely acknowledged as true: today's sewing machines, with plastic gears, are unsuitable for the rigors of Sunbrella or canvas work.

Older sewing machines, manufactured of steel literally by the millions, are virtually indestructible and up to the job.

Here's the report, and my take on whether a sewing machine is worth the trouble:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9atUZ1656zg

vinyl cushions.jpg

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Rumor has it that the "Modern" SailRite machine is a (beefed up) knockoff of a cheap Chinese copy of an old 1950's (German?) machine. The design is widely used because all patents have expired. The same mechanism can be found in all manner of cheap machines that cost $99 on line. The newer SailRite parts are supposed to be more robust and precise. Older SailRite machines that may be found from second hand sources are nothing more than those very same Chinese machines, which they used to import, adjust, add a few accessories to, and quintuple the price. Many of the SailRite accessories will fit those other cheap machines.

I learned to sew as a teen with a 1960's Singer, just like that one. The farm wasn't easy on denim and my clothing ration was limited. Boy Scout badges had to be sewn. Stuff bags were needed for camping. Etc. For some reason, Mom gave the Singer away in her later years and bought a plastic Chinese replacement. Not sure why - she never used either one. Her "mending pile" still had stuff on the bottom from the 70's. Anyway, the plastic thing is what I've inherited. The label says "Heavy Duty" but I have doubts. I suspect it to be one of those above mentioned $99 Chinese machines but encased in plastic. New in box but no instructions. Haven't got it to work yet - that "patience" thing. "Walking foot accessory" procured on-line for $9. Again, I have doubts. Desperately need some sheet bags sewn soon.

... If you order them from SailRite instead of JoAnne Fabrics, does that make them "manly notions?"

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Believe me, I resisted buying a shiny new highly advertised Sailrite machine. :) And finding one used--forgetaboutit.

But the overwhelming majority of research revealed people who had tried to beat the system with "just as good" versions, unbranded versions, original versions--and wished they hadn't.

A portable walking-foot designed for non-commerical duty by sailors or hobbyists was never a design goal of anybody, and in the end Sailrite's model is just hard to beat.

They come set up, with phone support.

In the end though, almost everything I want to be able to do a $150 1965 era Singer can do.

My local JoAnn's closed. That's what threatens my manhood. Those women knew what they were talkin' about.

Last edited:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
My plan is to "use up" the free machine, before drinking the Kool-Aid at SailRite.
But somehow, I've still spent a lot of samoleans there this year. Speaking of Kool-Aid... at the Safety-At-Sea seminar, Carol Hasse (Port Townsend Sails) was handing out a list of recommended items for the on-board sail repair and sewing kit. Some of it, I already had. Most of the rest was just a click away at SailRite. Though I suspect that PTS would sell you the whole lot in a neat kit bag.

And a few years ago, I did buy the SailRite hot knife kit. Like the other stuff, not the cheapest unit around. But it does turn out to have 1001 uses around the shop. Especially for neatly cutting all sorts of rope.

Baslin

Member III
I just bought a Singer "Heavy Duty" 4452....Got it for a really good price and I'm hoping it will suffice as a machine that can do small jobs like a grill Cover, Winch Covers, and some Hatch Covers....I guess once I figure out how to use the darn thing, I'll know....I'm sure it will be a trial and error adventure.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Just for the record, Sailrite.com has videos on how to make everything from hatch sunshades to complex projects like pedestal covers. First stop for anybody interested. Their designs do not always reflect real-world sailing experience, but the technique information is invaluable.

For further punishment there's also my 6-part "sewmanship" saga of trial and error here:

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/entry.php?242-Table-of-Contents-for-Thelonious-Blog

Last edited:

olsenjohn

John Olsen
Blogs Author
We live in the heart of the old textile and furniture industry, and for years my wife worked sewing cushions for furniture. She got good enough that she eventually graduated up to sewing leather where pulling stitches and leaving holes in the material is unacceptable. It was literally a big room with 50 industrial sewing stations running all day.

Although she no longer worked in the industry she still had good friends that worked in it. And when one of the local plants closed we purchased one of the heavy duty sewing stations to use making stuff for our sailboat. It seemed like a great idea at the time. Unfortunately that machine was the biggest headache for maintenance and adjustment. Seemed like you could hardly make it through one project before we had to call a friend that repaired them to come and adjust it so it ran correctly. I was so glad to see that machine go when we sold it. And keep in mind, I like tinkering and repairing things! But that was just a PITA.

I have resisted the idea of buying another one and trying again every since. But looking at the long list of sewing projects for the Ericson 25 Resurrection project we are forced to reconsider that position. My point to this story is that I would gladly pay extra for a quality machine that was trouble free and reliable with phone support on the ready. I think Christian made the right call.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Yet another interesting thread that deserves a "ten star" rating if there were such a thing.
:egrin:

frick

Member III
I have a Consew

I picked my consew walking foot machine new on ebay for $280 delivered. It is of the old universal design that comes under many names.
The first thing I did was put on the Sailrite Monster Wheel, which beefed up the torque. Nice addition. Sailrite has many patented parts on their machine which makes run smoother and stronger.

The Sacrificial Sunbrella was coming off my 130 percent Jenny was coming off... My local shop quoted me a $300 Price tag... So I bought the machine and did it my self. I often take my stuff up to the Church Parish House and put the banquet table together for my sail loft.

I use size 20 needles and mostly use v135 or v96 thread which I buy by the large pound size cones. I have gone through miles of thread and done many repairs for friends. I have even done a sail cut down for a friend and that was a first for me. I watch a few youtube videos about it, and just did it. I have also converted a hanked on jib to a roller furler by added a new bead.

I also have made a ton of sail cloth tote bags... which is where I honed my sewing skills.

The Cheaper Chinese machines work, but they are not as beeed up as the Sailrite. All the parts are interchangeable with Sailrite, so I buy my parts from them.
I find the real key is to keep the machine clean and oiled.

Rick

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Rick, what model Consew do you recommend? I could never get a solid recommendation and heard conflicting data.

(I'm against springing for a Sailrite on impulse--too expensive to gather dust, and not really suited for light household stuff and bluejeans. My Singer is better for that)

Also: Here's a good parallel thread, with more recommendations and Ignacio's report on his Sailrite machine-1.

Last edited:

frick

Member III
My Consew

I bought the consew on ebay 15 years ago so I do not remember the model but I will look when I get home.
It is a Sailrite LZS 1 clone... Actually I think they are all made in the same People Republic of China Sewing Machine Factory.
The Only Difference between all the clones is the name of the front.

The Sailrite is the same basic machine with better parts on the inside.

for example: same zig zag machines with different names and prices
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Family-Sew-...963277?hash=item1c8296290d:g:shoAAOSwLnBX3bKz
also
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Barracuda-Z...999841?hash=item4b190f9921:g:QmgAAOSwhvFZBmwj

I looked at this this way... The Frist time use it to repair my jib... I paid for it self.

Rick+

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Wow, the prices on the cheapies seem to be going up since I last looked! Wonder if there's any justification for that? Other common brands of this design are Rex and Sewline, which are still around $250.
Note that most of these, including the SailRite have very short arm lengths. Good for portability at the expense of ease of sewing large items. A few are advertised with deeper arms.

frick

Member III
Sewing large thing and a same machine

Wow, the prices on the cheapies seem to be going up since I last looked! Wonder if there's any justification for that? Other common brands of this design are Rex and Sewline, which are still around $250.
Note that most of these, including the SailRite have very short arm lengths. Good for portability at the expense of ease of sewing large items. A few are advertised with deeper arms.

The key is to roll your sail, then the roll tube of a sail slides right through. Having a large space helps. P!astic banquet table a nice as the sail slides really well. The walking foot does the pulls you to the guiding.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Yep, to my eye all those models are the basic Sailrite machine , minus a little chrome and a wooden base it would not be hard to make.

I would just look for a seller who says he has tuned, tested and set up the machine and will answer the phone (rather than "direct from China in original packaging").

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
Yup, surface area helps a bunch. With all the different prep projects last year - sewing and carpentry and varnishing and whoknowswhatelse - I decided to just make a large work table in the garage with a cutout for the Sailrite. I'm currently making 17 cushions for my sister's patio set...my thanks to her for helping me with weather routing on my offshore expedition last year. Speaking of which, I took the Sailrite with me last year....vicarious learning from Christian's adventure in 2014 dealing with some canvas issues. I got lucky with my sails, but was able to help dock mates while away...good skill for bartering. The Sailrite monster wheel, which comes with a hand-crank, is great with slow speed control. Great for work with leather and many Sunrella layers.

Admittedly, I do miss the characteristics of the Singer machines I've used. They were much more nimble. And faster. I'd say 80% of my sewing work thus far has been made on the Singers. For the heavy stuff, the Sailrite has been the better tool.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 177

tenders

Innocent Bystander
You guys are awesome. I've never found the speed of the machine to be a limiting factor in ANY sewing project I've ever done! That's a high-skill problem I don't have.

Just another plug for how much fun sewing is. I was inspired to learn by watching the bosun's mates make canvas covers and awnings on my Navy ship, using a machine so powerful it could sew through plywood and dimmed the lights at full tilt. I read Don Casey's first edition of "This Old Boat" while living aboard my 32 at the Long Beach Naval Marina, steps from my ship, and one Saturday morning in port when I got off watch I noticed a sewing machine store's ad in the newspaper somewhere in town. $125 later, and, I guess, 24 years later too: untold hours of productive enjoyment on that machine for both me and my daughter, now 16. I do canvas work. She does clothing.

The cashier at the fabric store in Long Beach was kinda hot too, but I never got anywhere with her.

frogwraps

Omega Zig Zag Walking Foot Machine

I purchased a zig zag Omega walking foot machine on eBay and other than it being compact (not a bad thing for a liveaboard couple) the only issue I have had is with the pedal, which seems to sew at 80% at the slightest touch. I've been in contact with the seller, who shipped the machine very well balanced and adjusted for the kind of sewing we need to do. He has offered a new pedal, which is great. But even with the crazy pedal I was able to sew the wheel cover no problem straight out of the box. The cost for the machine and shipping from Canada was under $400 and we are very satisfied with the abilities and potential for this machine. It's a much lower cost alternative to the super expensive name brand machines.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The Sailrite is not very good at slow speeds, either.

My impression is rounding corners on these machines is best done by manually moving the flywheel--and the add-on $150 crank flywheel makes that much easier and natural.

Overall, technique is more pedal-to-the-metal, and less delicate than the neckline of a lingerie.

(I see in Ignacio's reply, and rereading Rick's torque comment above, that the heavy wheel actually makes slower speed control better with hands off, i.e., not manhanding the wheel. I guess it is the increased mass. I may have to get a Monster Wheel myself).

Last edited:

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
I was making winch covers last night (woo hoo, sewing on a Friday night...but at least I had a beer next to me), and was thinking about this thread and the speed comments. I decided to add piping to the round top of the winch covers. As I was sewing the piping onto the round top, I realized that I needed both hands maneuvering the pieces (6 layers + piping). The heavy wheel helped here, as it gave me better slow speed control and freed my hands to maneuver the pieces. I could have done it while adjusting the wheel with one hand, but it would have taken a bit longer and been a bit more awkward, and likely have required lots of adjusting of the pieces to bring them into alignment.