Cockpit Organizer Bag

P Abele

Member II
I am shopping for a bag to hold miscelaneous stuff which accumulates around the cockpit - sunscreen, cell phone, book, etc. I remember seeing bags which attached to a bulkhead with snaps or some such which had multiple pockets for stuff like this. There are also line bags which attach in a similar manner but are usually a larger with a single pocket for holding loose ends of halyards etc. Does anyone know if a good source for these tiems or another idea altogether which might work better? Any advice would be appreciated!

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Your local sailmaker or canvas shop

Sailmakers or canvas shops (for boom covers, cushions, etc)make these bags-called "sheet bags" or cockpit gear bags, etc. They can help you size them up. I would stick with snaps or even better is a small extrusion you can screw/glue/rivet into the cockpit or bulkhead, and the bag has something like a boltrope sewn onto it, and you slide the bag in and out like a genoa goes into the furler track. Good support for the bag, and clean appearance. Velcro does not work long term.

chaco

Member III
Make them yourself out of heavy duty door screen from HD. It actually sews
quite well on a machine with heavy duty thread. Then I fasten them with
SS screws and fender washers where ever I need hanging storage.
You can get a small assortment of the same storage bags at WM for a
shocking price.

rgoff

Member III
I bought one of these Davis mesh bags last summer. It has one large full-width pocket and 4 others in front of it. It's really worked out well. I keep my VHF & cellphone in it along with my trip log. The small pockets expand to fit larger items.

Attachments

• BoatBag.jpg
    BoatBag.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 237