Cockpit light and USB - Most useful update ever!

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
Thought I'd share this little project because it's turned out to be SO useful in the cockpit. For power source I had an unused breaker and the reason for using an illuminated switch is that it is a reminder when the power is on. The USB outlet has its own on/off switch.

The light is bright but not overwhelming and never in our eyes.
IMG_3067-X3.jpg

I use an iPad which mirrors the B&G Vulcan 7 at the nav station so this is the power source for the iPad. (I do have a waterproof case when needed) At anchor we each have a USB outlet for our devices.
IMG_2938-X2.jpg

Parts list and wire diagram:
ODay%20cockpit%20USB%20light-X3.jpg

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
Nice setup Bob. Mind me asking what mount you're using for your iPad? I'm still looking for the "perfect" one.

Not quite as fancy as your arrangement, but I have two 20' USB cables routed under the pedestal into the cabin, where they connect to a 12v USB adapter plug, which fits into the 12v receptacle on our electrical panel. It has a dedicated breaker. Very handy.

JSM

Member III
Very nice ! We use a tablet to navigate as well. Did you run the power up thru your pedestal ?

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
Nice setup Bob. Mind me asking what mount you're using for your iPad? I'm still looking for the "perfect" one.

Not quite as fancy as your arrangement, but I have two 20' USB cables routed under the pedestal into the cabin, where they connect to a 12v USB adapter plug, which fits into the 12v receptacle on our electrical panel. It has a dedicated breaker. Very handy.
61oEBJPgJsL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Very nice ! We use a tablet to navigate as well. Did you run the power up thru your pedestal ?

Up through the chrome rail with the existing autopilot wires.

Missed this cover on the parts list: