Cockpit cubby holes

JORGE

Member III
cubby restoring

Since my coamings are off, I'll be stripping and restoring the cubbies, but if your's are rotten , then I guess you can cut them out from below, starboard side. However, the port side is pretty inaccessible. I think restoring and then glass coating would work, maybe add some bevel to the outside wall of the cubby when glassing so that water will run off.

Masallah 04

Member II
cubby holes

The bases of my cubby holes have some rot. My plan is to remove what rotted wood I can, fill in those areas with either resin or wood filler, and then line the base of the cubby holes with Polyethylene, this is the same material used for dishwasher safe cutting boards. It comes in sheets 1/32" thick. It's indestructable, very easily formed, and inexpensive. I'll adhere it with epoxy, and form it so any water entering the cubby hole, drains out....by the way, anyone know where the cubby holes drain? Anyway, this should work, and it should look good.

JORGE

Member III
Cubby drain

On my E32-2 there is no drain in the cubby compartments, but as I explained-- with a rebuild using epoxy and glass, a slight bevel could be built in so that water runs out the side, a very permanent solution. I suppose a sacrificial 1/4" teak board or composite could be used. I personally would not use polyethylene since it might degrade from UV.

Masallah 04

Member II
cubby holes

Jorge:
the epoxy / glass solution sounds good as well. Polyethelyne has very high tolerance to UV degradation, but I like the fact that with epoxy you can bevel to a drain. The cubbies will always get wet...good information

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
I have been thinking about trying to put a drain with a hose to the cockpit in the back of the cubby holes. If the base is made to drain water out the front of the cubby hole, I would expect anything you put in there to fall out as soon as the boat heels at all. So let me know how it works for you.
Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972