Cockpit/coaming board refinish project

saildad

Member II
Hello all vikings
I thought I would share my cockpit side board refinishing project with the list. After not having an ongoing boat project for some time I decided to tackle the refinishing of cockpit boards project.
#1 Remove the boards from the boat. I did not have the camera at the boat yesterday stay tuned for more on this.
#2 Remove all the old sealer and heavy debri from these large pieces of teak.
#3 Clean the boards with a 2 part product called teka. CAUTION!! This stuff is very caustic and will stain any surface that it comes in contact with. I only recommend using this on teak that is off the boat and well away from white fiberglass
Here are some before and after pics of the cleaning process.
Stay tuned for more pics and text as the project goes on

Attachments

• before1.jpg
    before1.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 116
  • after1.jpg
    after1.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 122

tenders

Innocent Bystander
This is looking great.

After 13 years of dealing with this brightwork, on which I found I would do drastic surgery to get looking acceptable (never "good") for one season, followed by 3 years of increasingly dissatisfactory appearance, a ton of varnish drips, and various generations of blue masking tape fused to the deck, I removed my boards and found them surprisingly weak and rotten aft, where they extend past the winch mounts.

Rather than refabricate them out of wood and start the process of disappointment over again, I made an executive decision to replace them with 3/4" grey StarBoard, matching the nonskid and saving me the guilt of not investing about 8 hours of time per year on the brightwork.

It was the second-best decision I've made in the last 5 years. The first was to refabricate the hatchboards in StarBoard, which I'd repaired several times and were at the end of their useful lives. (Pop quiz: are your hatchboards symmetric trapezoids? Answer: ALMOST, but "almost" doesn't keep the daylight from shining between them! Things they don't teach you in high school trigonometry!)