coastal question

tooblaaave

Member I
I wondering, when sailing down the coast, WEST Coast, from Puget Sound down Oregan and Cal how far off shore do you sail?
also what is the best time of year

Last edited:

Cory B

Sustaining Member
While we haven't taken our boat S of the Columbia, we've done the Neah Bay to Astoria route a hand full of times. Its about a 30 hour trip, and we've mostly done it double-handed. We try not to go when there is significant wind on our nose, or the period in seconds of the swell is is less than or equal to the predicted wave heights (max 8ft in our case, we're wimps).... and we like June the best.

Once you start getting into July you will start seeing an increasing amount of fog, and the days start to get shorter. Try to schedule a full moon if you can. :)

As far as how far out to go... far enough out to avoid the crab pots. 300+ ft depth is usually where they stop (although I know it changes a bit depending upon time of year)... and that is anywhere from 5-20 miles off shore, but is close enough in to avoid the big shipping. Crabbing season offshore start in the spring(?) and ends in Sept/Oct.

We had a great crab-pot free trip one year in September... except for the pea soup fog. We've also jammed a crab pot the rudder in the middle of the night in June in ~300 ft of water which necessitated us returning to port.

Last edited:

Guy Stevens

About 25 miles

About 25 miles off the coast.

No more than that and occasionally with one foot on the beach as they say. Ok once I did go out to 60 miles off the coast of CA looking for wind, found a little and ran it for two days angling in toward SF as we got south, but that was the exception in an season with very little wind anywhere.

You can do the trip as a series of harbor hops with a few overnighters thrown in if you have the weather.

I have done the trip quite a few times.

There are several people that recommend that you go x hundred miles off the coast, every one of them that I have ever spoken with has regretted it after they have done it.

Last edited:

celtium

Member III
Crab Pots

I'm planning a trip up to Drakes Bay this year and I've heard that there are a number of pots on that trip as well.

Guy, is there a solution to pots or do you get out beyond them and if so, how far?

Jay
E 38-200
SF Bay

dwigle

Member III
The trip to Drake's is an afternoon journey unless you plan on returning the same day. Just keep a watch and occasionally you'll have to adjust course to miss a crab pot, but not often. No worse than going to Half Moon Bay, just steer clear of the Potato Patch. I like to stay close to shore following the Bonita Channel, then out as you approach Duxbury heading for the buoy.(can't remember the number, and the charts are on the boat)
Check one of the cruising guides for more, but in good weather it's a nice ride with a good anchorage.

Good Luck,
Don Wigle
Wiggle Room
Pt. Richmond
E38 #8

celtium

Member III
Thanks

Hi Don,

So you leave in the morning around 10 ish? Once past the Patato Patch do you find that you can beat up to Drakes Bay or do you motor?

Thanks -

Jay
E38-200
SF Bay

dwigle

Member III
Slack water

I always try to get out of the Bay around slack, and return on a flood if possible. While it sounds good to ride the ebb out, and you will get out faster, you get beat-up from the bridge on as outgoing water meets coastal current and prevailing winds. For me it's better to fight a mild flood and take more time than fight the swells an ebb develops.
As for leaving time, I like to enjoy the anchorage so we usually leave the marina closer to eight than ten depending on tides.
This time of year, as often as not, traveling outside the Gate turns into a motorfest at least half the trip.
I hope this helps. with luck, others will give their thoughts to help you plan.

Don

celtium

Member III
Thanks

Thanks Don,

Leaving on a slack is kinda what I thought as well. A friend and I were discussing this yesterday, and were commenting how rough the 'playpen' area can be just beyond the 'Gate. I've been bounced around out there several times...it's fun when that's what you're planning to do. I can see where it would be an inconveniance otherwise.

Thanks again

Jay
E 38-200
SF Bay

PS - I guess I'm staying at Marina Bay...my girlfreind likes the showers there...go figure :egrin:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
FWIW....
I have personally met some circumnavigators that told me the roughest part of their entire journey was transiting the Northern California coast. You can find my own account of one trip south in the narrative archives on this site. Sometimes it's placid, but rather often you can get gale conditions off of the "great capes" of California. Something about the isobars compressing against the land mass.
:nerd:

I also know personally a fellow that singlehanded an old Cal 34 up the coat to the NW from SF Bay, "day sailing" -----one day at a time! He had thousands of delivery miles already, and is a light sleeper... He would anchor in the lee of a headland.

If doing that trip again, I would plan my routing similar to lots of other cruisers that I know and harbor hop.

Best,
Loren

Last edited: