Coaming cut-outs fixed

Sven

Seglare
Captain glass (who did the spar refinishing) modified the cut-outs in the coaming so the genoa sheets now run free from the footblocks to the winches.

What a difference that has made !! Sheeting in is a breeze and letting it out is super smooth, not a death defying sudden release threatening to take fingers and anything else close by.

-Sven

Attachments

• Coaming.jpg
    Coaming.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 179

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
What is it? I cannot make out the image due to the glare from the varnish...
:rolleyes:

Nice work, Sven!

Loren

Sven

Seglare
Thanks Loren, but you are much too kind.

The varnish looks good from a distance but when people get up close they usually ask "did you do this yourself ?" :egrin:

It is wonderful to have the sheets run freely ... all the difference in the world.

-Sven

Sven

Seglare
Would you draw or photograph the layout from the top?

I'm still looking for pics that would explain it.

Basically, the genoa winches are on pedestals inside the cockpit. I'd guess they are 18" from the coaming in the forward helm position. There are footblocks right outside the coaming the feed the genoa sheet from the track-mounted block to the winch through a cutout in the coaming.

When the helm position is moved aft the winches get close to interfering with the wheel so someone moved the winches about 6-8" inches closer to the coaming. When they got moved that change the angle of the sheet from the footblock to the winch and all of a sudden the line no longer goes cleanly through the cutout on the coaming but actually wraps around the corner on the cutout.

By making the cutout larger we cleared the "corner" an now we have a clean run from the footblock to the winch and everything is a _LOT_ better.

-Sven