CNG where can i find it?

spencer

Member II
Need to find a supplier for the compressed natural gas for my galley stove. I keep my boat in Sandusky, Oh and currently must travel to Muskegon Mi for CNG. Does anyone know of a closer supplier? There used to be 3 suppliers here of the North Coast but all are gone.

EGregerson

Member III
cng

I had the same problem on the east coast from VA to FL; no one seems to carry cng anymore. Bit the bullet and converted to propane. Fortunately there was a cylinder well molded in and pre wired in my model. I took the stove/oven to Home Gas Appliance in Miami and they installed new jets; avoided the cost of a new range.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Scarce refills, indeed

I know that over the last couple decades we have "lost" a number of public CNG refilling outlets in our fair city. (That's one reason I was kind of glad that our boat came with an Origo alcohol range.)
I just did a quick search and found this link. Might be of some help?
http://find.mapmuse.com/interest/cng

Best,
LB

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Try Corp Brothers in RI. http://www.corpbrothers.com/ma0502/ They are local to me, I just go in and they exchange CNG bottles on the shipping dock. Around $24 per bottle, exchange IIRC? I believe they will ship to you as well but I have no idea on the cost. Since I am local, if I can help you or any other Board member for that matter, with getting a bottle swapped, let me know. There is also a CNG retailer link on the Marine page at Corp. RT

Leon Sheean

Member II
CNG source

Check out cngprices.com. Their map indicates sources that may help.

I will be looking for next season so please post your results.

spencer

Member II
Went over to Muskegon this week and got the CNG I needed at Lake Welding Supply Co. Those guys are a pleasure to deal with. Bob over there told me that they have stores in Ferrysburg, Holland, And Manistee, MI They have the gas or can get it from the main store in Muskegon on short notice. He also told me that they supply the Irish Boat Shop in Charlevoix. I did try some of the sources in Ohio that Loren mentioned but they only did motor vehicles. Next time I will try some more of the sources you mentioned although the scenery and touring in western Mi. is great so we always make a trip of it. Stayed 4 days .

spencer

Member II
no thanks. I have a tank. plus where i go to get it filled does and exchange and recertifies the tank when needed. A certification is good for onlt 5 years.

Sven

Seglare
Where do CNG vehicles get their gas in your area ?

We had a CNG stove when we first got Senta but tore it out and replaced it with the Origo due to availability and operating costs.

I did look around and seem to remember that you could compress your own gas at home with a pump, did I just imagine that ?

CNG is really safe (as opposed to propane) but no good if you aren't in a country where it is available.

-Sven