Cleaning-polishing Al boom?

BobB

Member II
My aluminum boom shows all the signs of being out in the weather for 33 years. I'd like to try giving it a cleaning and polishing, if possible. I have no idea on what to try. Assuming it will behave like an aluminum pot, I'm guessing something like bon ami or bartender's helper cleanser (feldspar cleansers) are worth a try. Suggestions?

Thanks,

Bob

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Bob, I tried some aluminum polish on our previous boat. Thought I could do this by hand. Thankfully just tried a very small spot and decided that I would rather just go sailing instead of doing the hard labor thing for umteen hours. This would have been very, very expensive do to all of the beer I would have gone through before the project was done.

Now with that said. I am sure there is an easier way to shine and clean up that boom.

BobB

Member II
Bob, I tried some aluminum polish on our previous boat. Thought I could do this by hand. Thankfully just tried a very small spot and decided that I would rather just go sailing instead of doing the hard labor thing for umteen hours. This would have been very, very expensive do to all of the beer I would have gone through before the project was done.

Now with that said. I am sure there is an easier way to shine and clean up that boom.

Thanks. With all the other jobs I have to do, I think the boom will remain as is.