"Choat" or "Chote" or ?

Sven

Seglare
We got a recommendation for a guy with a name that sounds like "Choat" to build us a new rudder. At one point we had his contact info but now we can't find it.

I think he's a boat builder as well as a fiberglass guy. I assume he's a SoCal person but maybe not ?

Does it ring any bells for anyone ?

Thanks,

-Sven

Dan Morehouse

Member III
There's a Dennis Choate in SoCal who is a boatbuilder. The website is www.denchomarine.com. I remember his name coming up in Bob Perry's latest book, in connection with not only a boat building project, but a rudder modification project. Choate insisted on a shape smaller/larger/different than Perry wanted, and turned out to be right. I've seen Choate vessels on Yachtworld, too.

Dan Morehouse
1981 E-38 "Next Exit"

Seth

Sustaining Partner
It is

Dennis Choate of Dencho Marine. He has done several rudders for site members here, and as a boat builder there is not much he can't do in terms of any hull, deck or interior mods. Reasonable, too.

He is a "unique" personality, but very talented.

Sven

Seglare
Dennis Choate of Dencho Marine. He has done several rudders for site members here, and as a boat builder there is not much he can't do in terms of any hull, deck or interior mods. Reasonable, too.

He is a "unique" personality, but very talented.

Thanks, yes I think you may have been the one who first told me about him. I lost the reference but kind of remember it.

The yard foreman at Marina Shipyard used to work for him for 16 years and speaks very highly of him too.

-Sven

windjunkee

Member III
Sven,

Dennis Choate. He did great work on our rudder modification. It was significantly less in total cost than I thought it would be (something that is so rare a circumstance that it is noteworthy)

He's just off PCH in Long Beach, west of 710 freeway.

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason E-32 Hull #134
Redondo Beach, CA

Sven

Seglare
We're finally getting the new rudder !

Thanks to Jim (Voice of Reason) too !

I just talked to Dennis a couple of times. What a great no-nonsense guy !

He inspired me with so much confidence that I'm almost afraid to meet him in person and lose the awe :egrin:

The work starts tomorrow.

-Sven