Cheap (inexpensive...) Outboard

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Any of you Vikings, especially you Florida guys n gals, ever heard of this company?
http://www.smalloutboardmotor.com/index.html
I ran across a link to them from another sailing site.

We would like to have a small OB for our inflatable dinghy some day, and are always on the lookout for a light weight engine.

Thanks,
Loren

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
"Seaweed Whacker"

Wow those are cheap. Alas we are not allowed to buy 2 strokes in Cali anymore. They remind me of a 2 hp a old friend of mine used to own. He called it his "Seaweed Whacker".

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Thats just a weedwacker powerhead attached to a light duty lower unit. Nice and cheap but not likely long-lived in saltwater. JMHO. I picked up a Yamaha 2.5hp outboard at the end of last season for $700.00 at my local dealer. End of season I basically paid what he paid for it as he just wanted it gone for the winter. Runs great, its a real outboard, 37lbs, from a respected manufacturer. Tough to beat.

RT

Akavishon

Member III
I have a little 2hp Honda (4 stroke, reliable, very light weight, rea$onable), but it won't last - components are not corrision resistant (e.g. fasteners are not stainless). Wouldn't buy it again - have little understanding why a renowned manufacturer would skimp on something like that.

Ran into these guys (Hidea) at the recent Newport boat show, they advertised rugged, all-stainless components, and the price was hard to beat (<$600 boat show special).

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Im not so sure about ever getting parts for it down the road.

I think you have just identified the problem...
(Like a friend of mine recently bragging about the new scooter he just bought for half the price (!) of a Honda, with no brand name... from somewhere in China.)
It comes with a 30 day warranty. :(

Um, What dealer network? :rolleyes:

Last edited: