Chartplotter Recommendation

Brian K

Member III
I'm starting to analyze the various chartplotters available today and narrow the choice down to what will best suit my needs. I like the Garmin brand but many of them have constraints relative to distance from the compass. Also, they don't have pre-loaded charts for both the US Great Lakes AND the Canadian side of the Great Lakes. Here are some important considerations for me:
  • The intent is to mount the GPS above the compass inbetween the uprights of the binacle guard. This obviously limits size of the unit.
  • Sailing Lake Ontario; US and Canada detailed charts required.
  • Hoping to spend less than $1k (including map chip if not pre-loaded)
  • Good visibility in sunlight
  • I don't need sonar capability
Please offer any insight you may have on particular units I should consider.

Thanks!

Shadowfax

Member III
I've run a Garmin for years with no complaints. What models are you looking at? Also, most on the better models are pre packaged with the chart ware. In my case I bought a flash card from them that does the Chesapeake just fine.
YMMV

treilley

Sustaining Partner
You could always get a taller guard. My Garmin 3206 is right next to my compass and does not affect it.

Ray Rhode

Member III
Brian,

Don't have a specific recommendation but do have a specific warning. Several of the Garmin units use a magnetic latch for the data card door. Buried in the specifications section of the manual is a topic called Safe Compass Distance. There is no mention of this in the installation instructions. It says that the unit should not be mounted any closer than about 35 inches from the compass. A friend has a 400 series and it does screwup his compass and Garmin while acknowledging the problem has no plans to do anything about it.

I for one will never buy another Gramin (I currently have three) as I feel that this is irresponsible on their part. They know about the problem but instead of fixing it they protect themselves by hiding a warning in the back of the manual.

Ray Rhode
S/V Journey
E35-III, 3189

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I second what Ray said.
A number of their current boating line of plotters are no longer intended to actually be used on boats. :rolleyes:
That magnet on the little door is, by the way, a very strong magnet.

You might look for a 3005c or 3006c series with the friction catch memory-chip door.

Here is the link to the earlier discussion on this site.
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=6339&highlight=chartplotter

Loren

Last edited:

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I have a new last year Furuno radar/chartplotter setup. Its the VX2 version. It has been flawless and is quite simple to use. I based my choice on walking the commercial fishing docks and looking at what they use. Here in RI its 90% Furuno. Doesn't have all the bells-n-whistles that some of the recreational makers have but its very well made. I don't want an aerial pic of the nearest marina, live video input of my engine room, or watch movies at the helm, etc. I need the bloody thing to work, every time, in any sea state. Go compare a Furuno to any other brand. Hold them in your hand and you will see the difference. The Furuno will be heavier, harder and simply feel more substantial. They really are better built. See for yourself. The new VX3 versions are essentially weatherproof minicomputers. There are no chips, you just update your charting software as needed. RT

Last edited:

tdtrimmer

Member II
I suggest looking at the Garmin 478. It has a small screen but is bright and easy to read. You can order Canadian charts and upload them easily. Garmin is phasing out this unit so it can be purchased very inexpensively plus they are offering a $200 rebate. This unit also supports XM weather with an optional antenna which is is real plus. A lot of function for the money.
Tom

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Brian - I just rebuilt my binnacle and in the process replaced the existing speed indicator pod with a Garmin 540. I originally thought of placing it just behind the compass but I'd rather have the apparent wind indicator pod there instead, which is where it always was from the beginning. I did know about the magnet problem in the Garmin 400 and 500 series units so what I did was to buy the 540 from my local West Marine, take it back to the boat and remove it from the box, then I moved it around to different positions around the compass where each of the pods would be located. Just behind the compass there was a noticeable compass deviation. But moving the unit to where the starboard pod was located (this also happened to be the speed indicator pod) I could not notice any deviation effects on the compass. So that is where I mounted the unit.

I just felt that the 540 was a good "fit" for the boat and my needs. I do think that the Garmin people are just plain stupid to put a magnet in a unit that more then likely would end up next to or near a compass. I even called Garmin tech support a while back to ask them about this problem and they basically said, "Yes, we know about the problem and have no plans on doing anything about it." (Amazing!) But like I say, I still do like the Garmin products and was glad to make it work by placing it in the starboard side position on the binnacle.

Next time I'm down on the boat I'll take a photo of the setup. By the way, I also connected the VHF radio, the Garmin 540 and the Wheel Pilot 32 together so that they can "talk" to each other and that worked out well too.

Ray Rhode

Member III
Bob,

I don't know if you have checked the compass accuracy while you are underway but you might want to. Many times a "good" location is not "good" on all headings that's why you need to swing the compass on autopilots with a flux gate compass. Hope the location works for you but you might want to check it out on other headings.

Ray Rhode

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Ray - I haven't done that yet but pan to, of course. Moving the 540 all around the compass with the magnetic end away from it seemed to cause no deviation. I still may try and open up the unit to see if I can remove the magnet myself later if need be.

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Been using the 478 for a year now and love it. It does nothing to my compass. Has all the charts preloaded. Was less than $1k. I take it on many other boats and deliveries. Rechargeable battery with 12volt or 110 plug. Works in the car. I personally will never buy a chartplotter as I think the prices are rediculous when you look at what you can do with a $300 laptop and a $100 handheld. The 478 display is plenty big for me. I'm just not a fan of all that crap on the binacle blocking my view, distracting me and getting things caught on it. Not to mention they can hurt if you get thrown into one offshore. Maybe on boats over 45' but on 38' and below it just looks rediculous with all those pods and junk. But hey this is just one knucklhead's opinion. I say put that stuff below and keep your eyes on the road!

Captron

Member III
Garmin has lost their way

Sorry about jumping in so late on this subject but at the risk of sounding like a mutual admiration society, Ted's hit it on the nails. Keep your eyes out of the boat.

I may eat these words but I think I too have found the end of the road with Garmin. They're too interested in making stuff for the 'road' market and so the new units are now more expensive because they have lots of features that are all but useless in navigating a boat. I'm going to have to look seriously at a Furuno or Lowrance unit. Can't really blame Garmin. They're a public company and have to seek out the most profit just like Citi, AIG or GM. Of course when you talk about bailing out Garmin, you're just disappointed in their weather proofing.

The features I'd like to have at the helm station GPS begin with water, sun, and bash proof. (no compass/radio/radar interference either).

Simple key sequences, like pop up a menu, select an item, and execute it. (and a way to turn off the beeper when scrolling through the alphabet)

Lots of Waypoints and Routes (250/20 isn't nearly enough) and it would help if the waypoint names can be longer than 6 characters.

Simple interface connections/process for interface to radar and computer. A USB connection would be a nice modern way to do that.

Easy upload/download of waypoints & routes between computer and GPS (this would reduce the rquirement for lots of routes/waypoints).

If it must have chart displays then make it so I can upload/download charts I already own on my MapTech Ocean Navigator laptop system.

Things I don't want or care about include:

Maps of every US City and Town.

Audio voice instructions as in 'turn left at end of romp' (romping is fine but why do I need three versions of English accents?)

Blue Charts at $99 per square mile. (by the way all these charts are made from government data that my taxes already paid for so it makes sense that I have to pay up bigtime for reformatting them onto proprietary chips)

Interface to the autopilot. (I still have enough attention span to punch in a couple of degrees as needed. Just tell me when I'm wandering off a bit.

Helicopter or other aerial photos of every port and marina.

XM, TV, Weather Channel, 911, SeaTow integration/interfaces. The DSC interface is pretty marginal too.

AND I don't need it to email my position to my relatives every 4 hours. Half the reason for getting away is to get away from them anyway.

:egrin:

John Wressell

Member II
New Chartplotter

We've had a Raymarine E-80 for the past several years and are very happy with it. It's more expensive than what your looking at but they make other models more in your price range. It's mounted on the pedestal above the compass. I believe that they now come with pre-loaded charts.

John Wressell
Stamford, Ct

Brian K

Member III
Thanks to all of you for your feedback on this subject. I have considered the Garmin 478 and the price is certainly becomming very reasonable. I'll do some more research on your suggestions and let you know what I end up with. Thanks again!

treilley

Sustaining Partner
My Garmin is a great unit. It is a 3206 from 2006. I am not sure about the newer units but for GPS technology on the whole, Garmin seems to be the leader. Their service is also excellent. I have Garmin charts loaded on my laptop that I use to download and upload routes and waypoints. It also allows me to DL and UP charts to my 3206 and Garmin Quest II(auto, marine, outdoors unit). When we go cruising, we use the Laptop for marine navigation planning and also to find places on shore via the City navigator maps that I loaded.

As the auto industry is struggling, I would have to think that Garmin will continue to support it's other areas such as aviation and marine. They still do NTM updates yearly.

As for longevity, I would be leary of any companies that produce marine only products. The economy is hitting leisure markets hard and some of them may just not survive.

That being said, I just upgraded all my instruments and AP to Raymarine.:rolleyes:

stuartm80127

Member II
Chartplotter

In completely restoring my 76 E27, and being a Standard Horizon CP180 fan, I recently mounted the unit on on my bulkhead above the table. I am not much of a fan at having a CP on deck due to the distraction(s) they pose. I have it above my table as a means for more easily reducing lat/lon to my paper charts every 30 minutes for when my boat finally makes it to the ocean. CP180 hooks up via NEMA to a Sitex radar or better yet, a Sitex AIS reciever should you ever decide that the CP180 display is rather uneventful.

Captron

Member III
Chart Plotter on Helm Station

I prefer to have a chart plotter type GPS visible at the helm. One feature we tend use quite often is the track feature. I have mine set to record track points at about a 2 boat length interval (probably overkill).

We use it almost every time we go in or out of our channel that leads to our slip in Gulf Harbors. The channel has a scant 4 feet of water at low tide and since Kismet draws about 5ft, we need to come and go within a couple of hours of the higher tides and we must stay to the center line of the channel. The bread crumbs (tracks) of where, exactly, we've safely navigated before provides an accurate check for the current trip. Generally we zoom in on the track display to 1/4 mile resolution and keep the boat right on the old track. It takes a little getting used to steering that way as there is a bit of lag between a heading change and the display.

We also use it a lot in the Bahamas where we navigate our way to an anchorage in good light, leaving our bread crumbs. Then if we have to leave the anchorage at O'dark 30 or something we can just follow our trail.

Often in the Bahamas an anchorage is protected from East winds and seas but sometimes a frontal passage or other weather feature dictates that we move around to the other side of a small cay to remain protected from a wind shift to the West. If we have tracks to the alternate anchorage from a recon trip in good light, we can find our way into the new spot regardless of the water visibility.

A very desireable feature in my book. Better still is to have a GPS interfaced to the PC where you can store old bread crumb trails for use next season and load them to the helm GPS as required. The GPS memory is just too limited to keep old tracks for very long. It would be nice if GPS units had a micro SD card slot or a USB slot to facilitate moving data around or to just enhance the GPS memory.

The track feature is also useful for post race analysis ... as in, where did we tack that we shouldn't have. At a 2 boat interval, the lifts and headers display prominently. But then maybe I'd prefer not to know. I can also remember one occasion where the rumor mill had us missing a mark. Our tracks clearly showed that we had gone around the correct waypoint. We never had to prove it but we had the evidence.

:egrin:

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Good points for sure Capn Ron. Still prefer the small 478 at the helm as it is small enough to not distract but powerfull enough to do what you reference. I have to do the same getting in and out of my harbor with 6 1/2' draft on Escape Plan. Still laughing about bailing out the garmin though:egrin: