charging a dead battery

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Does anyone know if you can charge a dead battery with a small 5 amp charger?
Thanks

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Battery

Quick and to the point,,YES you can. Did you mean a .5 amp trickle charger? If so, the answer is still yes. I guess we are the only saps not on their boats in Ericson World!. Rob Hessenius

Guy Stevens

define dead?

Depends on what the battery type is, what you mean by dead, what you mean by charge.

If you have a battery that reads below 11 volts just sitting there by itself, with no loads on it, there is generally little you can do except turn it in for a core.

Guy
:)

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
not on the boat

My boat has been on the trailer for months and I have 70 hrs of work to do before she goes back in the water. New sails and the mast is horizontal, a torture for sure.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Thanks,

I'll check the volts when I get to the boat. The boat is my new boat. It had an A4 for auxiliary power and the two batteries were charged off of that. The engine is gone so there is not currently a way to charge the (dead) batteries.

I have a small charger that I use to charge the house battery in my E23 and I hope to use that. I remember having trouble charging a very dead battery in the past and I think someone told me I needed a more powerful charger. Something about blasting sulphates off of the plates? I could be totally delusional :).

Howard Keiper

It seems there are degrees of 'deadness'. Putting a small charger on for an hour or two won't do any harm to either the battery or the charger and may make you feel better but it won't resurrect an 11++v battery...like Guy says.
I bought an instrument last year called a "conductance" (recriprocal of resistance) tester which, given that there is enough energy in the battery to even power up the device , will give you a very good idea of the condition of your battery and a prognosis. This is the same instrument used by most battery manufacturers to qualify warranty claims. It is much more analytical than a load test which can finish off a marginal battery by itself...but that's what you want to know anyway, isn't it? Sometimes when you go to a Jiffy-Lube oil change place and they check out things they think you should replace, they give you a little printout showing your battery condition...whether it's up to it's rated CCA capacity or not...what produces those data is a conductance tester.
howard keiper
SeaQuest
Berkeley