changing the oil

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
On my transmission dip stick there is an area that is ground away that appears to represent the fill line. Is that a standard feature or a modification by a previous owner?

I think that is factory. Ours has the line in the dipstick also.

lnill

Member III
I think that is factory. Ours has the line in the dipstick also.

In our case, it is more of a half moon ground off the rod. I was not sure when we bought the boat so removed as much fluid as I could and the added exactly what the manual specified and it pretty much came up to the middle of the half moon. It has always made me nervous but everything works fine.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Blinking, OCD, Frequent Hand Washing and other compulsive behavior ....

In our case, it is more of a half moon ground off the rod. I was not sure when we bought the boat so removed as much fluid as I could and the added exactly what the manual specified and it pretty much came up to the middle of the half moon. It has always made me nervous but everything works fine.

We had to replace our crappy Hurth tranny shortly after buying our boat and since I religiously check the oil and transmission fluid each day before starting the motor. I also check the belt and the coolant level.

Then I wash my hands.......lol!:confused:

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Flat oil tank.

I've also used this tank for a number of years with lots of success. However, like said here, warming up the engine is key and then patience while the pump does its work. I've pumped it through the dip stick and the hose attached to the bottom of the pan and it seems that there is little difference to me. Just get that oil out and re-fill carefully, maybe a step or two at a time, allowing the oil to drain down before fill more in (again, patience), before adding more. Then after start the engine again and let it run for about five minutes, shut down and check the level once more. Then add if necessary.

SeaRogue,

I use a oil change pump that I found on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Jabsco-17860-0012-Changer-3-5-Gallon-12-Volt/dp/B000O8B0M0

A bit pricey but cheaper than Christian's pants.

It does a good job if the oil is nice and warm. I put the pick line in through the dip stick tube and then fish around until I hear the pump pick up oil. After having it for a few years I finally learned (last month) to remove the cap from the catch tank since this relieves the pressure in the tank and I can see the stream of oil flow in from the pump. Old dog...

Best of luck,

JoeR

making an oil extractor

I need to know the size of the dipstick hole on my 5432 or M40 engine. I am making a drill driven oil extractor using a gear drive engine oil pump from an automotive engine. I want to make the extraction tube as big as possible so i need to know the dipstick hole size. Once I get it finished I will post some pictures. Thanks
Joe

Navman

Member III
oil change

I picked up my oil transfer pump at Tractor Supply for $30.00 less than any other brand. Works great!